3rd Party Chassis's for Netburner

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
v8dave

3rd Party Chassis's for Netburner

Post by v8dave »

Based on a posting in the NANO 54415 thread and Tod's recommendation, I will post this here.

If you have something similar then please post it here for others to consider.

-----------------------

I would be interested in offering my chassis for those wanting to install their own MOD5234 or it can come with one already installed.

Sorry if I am not supposed to post here but as Paul pointed out, if it uses Netburner modules, it's sales for them too. You still need to purchase a Netburner Dev Kit for the 5234 to get the software, but I can provide full schematics and details for the chassis.

I designed a data logger around the MOD5234 and the design has an wide input AC-DC supply or +24Vdc input.

There are two RS232 ports, two RS485 ports, CAN bus and four 4-20mA sensor inputs. My plan is to use the CAN bus to expand the IO if needed.

There is also a plug in Simcom SIM300 or Telit GM862 modem boards to add GPRS or SMS capability.

It has a 3.5" LCD TFT display with touch (new 5" version in the works) and a rotary encoder with 2 buttons for input.

The MicroSD is brought out to the front panel so this has easy access.

I'll even supply the front panel design file so you can get your own made with your own logo etc or I can do this here for you.

Attached is a coupe of images.

I have a few of these installed in remote oil wells in Indonesia and they work great. I love using Netburner software to programme with as UCOS makes stuff like this a doddle (may need to translate from Scottish on this word)

PS.. I am going to be updating this to use the latest 54415 module so that I can use the new 5" 800 x 480 display to its full potential.
Attachments
DataLoggerAssembly2.jpg
DataLoggerAssembly2.jpg (170.06 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
DataLoggerWithSD.128.jpg
DataLoggerWithSD.128.jpg (160.2 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
ScottM

Re: 3rd Party Chassis's for Netburner

Post by ScottM »

I need something different - a cheap board that will just expose a bunch of the pins as screw terminals. I'd want USB access to the board for power and downloads, and get screw terminal access to ground, 3v3 output, the IRQ pins and a bunch of data pins. A Reset button on the board would be nice. Basically I'm looking for a board like the dev board, but very stripped down, cheaper and with a lot less stuff on it.

I don't want to solder wires to my development board (or straight to the pins) for the finished product, even if it's a one-off product. Normally I'd just shove the thing onto a breadboard, but the 5270 pinout isn't suitable for that.

What have other people done? I'm sure I'm not the first with this question.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi Scott,

Are you familiar with PCB layout at all?

You can download a freeware version of Eagle etc and then create your own PCB for the Netburner.

The likes of ezPCB in China (I use them all the time with excellent results) or anyone else who offers low cost 1 off or small run PCB supply is a good way to create your own carrier board for the Netburner.

I have another design I did for a client but this is proprietory buy it id battery powered with a power path charger so can be operated whilst charging.

If this is a home project I can maybe help you out with it? If commercial then I can still offer something you can use.

Cheers
Dave...
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

It's very much a home project. I'm building a little weather station, using some sensors I already have. I need a one-wire interface (which I'll bit-bang using GPIO) and all the external IRQ lines exposed, and I'd probably want 7 or so additional GPIO pins exposed, in case I want to add stuff. I'd want ground, 5v and 3v3 exposed. I'd want a USB Interface because the weather station will have access to AC power and 5v USB power supplies are easy. (Ideally the USB would actually work for data as well, so I didn't have to pry the 5270 back off the carrier board if I need to reload software.) I don't need anything else

I wouldn't know how to specify what I need on the board, and soldering the components on (in these surface-mount days) is more than I want to mess with. I'd pay a few dollars to have it built for me.
ecasey

Post by ecasey »

Scott,

Why not buy the NNDK-MOD5270LC-KIT? It is only $20 more than the module itself and has the following advantages:
1. USB already implemented.
2. Comes with Software and support.
3. Has lots of pins brought out on .100 pattern holes.
4. Real time clock.
5. SD Card slot.
6. 2 DB9 connectors with level translator.

All you to do is solder the wires you need into the holes and you have everything you need.
You could not even get a custom board made for $20, let alone populated, tested, ready to go.

Ed
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

I agree w/ Ed. If you absolutely need screw terminals, solder a header into the dev70 board and connect to one of many boards like this via ribbon: http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brk2x17.php or build your own that connects directly and avoids the ribbon.
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

You're right - it's probably simplest to make my developer board part of the finished product, and just buy entirely new dev kits for anything future. Seems wasteful (I have no use for those serial ports) but the pricing is the pricing.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Probably a good idea for a 1 or 2 off project and enclosure space is not an issue.

I often design a PCB, even for home projects, if I have to bring out connectors to the outside world but more than often a development board can be used, it just needs lots of wiring! :D

I your really need it, with prototype PCB costs nice and low, a custom PCB is a reality today.

Dave...