New WiFI Module NBWIFIUG-100CR

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
seulater

New WiFI Module NBWIFIUG-100CR

Post by seulater »

NB, you guys need a whats new page on your site. or an RSS feed for new products.

I was looking for something on your site when i bumped into this new Wi-Fi module. I did not even know it was out!

Have you guys performed some Throughput tests on it, if so what are the numbers.
Ridgeglider

Re: New WiFI Module NBWIFIUG-100CR

Post by Ridgeglider »

Wow! Seulater's post got my attention! This is a long time coming...

I notice the wifi modules require the R2.4 tools. Any idea when they will be released? Finally can we use this module at the same time as the SD card? If so, what is the impact to the r/w transfer rates to SD card files. Conversely, if we're accessing files, what's the impact on the wirelesss transfer rates?
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

---anyone who knows---

If I order the MOD5270 Development kit is it immediately compatible with the Wireless Development Kit? (Is the big board hardware compatible?)

Does the wireless development kit come with a WiFi module? or must we buy both the module and the kit?

Does the antenna come with either the module or the wireless dev kit?

Lots of confusion here.

The order goes out as soon as somebody can help me with these answers.

Thanks!

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Hi,

The dev kit page seems to answer these questions:
http://www.netburner.com/products/devel ... pment.html
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Yes, The dev kit readout does answer the antenna and the module questions.

I was mostly wondering about the development board question.

If I order a MOD5270 development kit (the expensive one) will the wireless adapter plug on and work.

I saw something about some boards not working and some boards being OK.

Thanks again

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
BBAdmin
Site Admin

Post by BBAdmin »

Hi Chris,

The wifi module will work on both the new Modxxxx development kit boards, the MOD-DEV-100CR (more expensive one) and the MOD-DEV-70CR. We have the following text on the web page, but I think we need to do a better job if this was not very obvious:

http://www.netburner.com/products/devel ... pment.html

"The development kit must include a compatible carrier board. If you have a module development kit with a carrier board with revision earlier than 1.12 (MOD-DEV-100) or 1.6 (MOD-DEV-70), you will need to purchase a new development kit."

The compatibility issue has to do with the chip selects. The wifi module should actually work on any MOD-DEV-70CR board, but you do have to solder in the 50-pin header. The wifi kit includes the wifi module plus an adapter board that interfaces the wifi module to the J1 50-pin header. We include the header with wifi dev kit orders. It *may* work with earlier revision MOD-DEV-100CR boards, but we have tested and only guarantee rev 1.12 or higher.
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Thanks for your answer. I ordered the 'expensive' 5270 kit and the wireless adapter/module yesterday, assuming that the up-to-date-ness of new purchases will cover me.

Versioning of hardware and software is hard enough, but for folks on the outside of the everyday acronym muttering that I am sure happens in NB as well as any production group, the phrases that stick in the mind are *any* statements about 'this version not working with that version' and such. I can't easily imagine what the names MOD-DEV-100, MOD-DEV-70 mean and how they associate to the pile of dev boards I have around here without studying. (And I can definitely get lazy about studying)

I occasionally generate tables for my customers (with photos) of versions that illustrate h/w/ versions, dates, s/w/ versions, and finally, compatability 'tween them. No fun, for sure, but one solution that can help.

Chris
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Could you clarify the current version of the Mod-Dev-70? The wifi page says V1.6 is required, but it looks like V1.4 is what's out so far, at least as of the Rel2.3_rc7a platform schmatics. Could you post a V1.6 schematic if that's indeed the latest?
rschoop

Post by rschoop »

Hi everyone,

I am looking into this WiFi module and I have two questions here.

The WiFi module uses the QSPI interface but what about sharing this interface with a SD card ?? Is this possible ??

I read in an old thread about QSPI sharing and NB said that general QSPI sharing may be possbile when the WiFi module is avaliable. Is this also possible now ??
http://forum.embeddedethernet.com/viewt ... ?f=5&t=147

Thanks,

rschoop
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Yes sharing is possible. The CS lines need some attention, but this is configurable via jumpers, since, as a default, the WiFi CS is the same line used by the WP line on the SD cards. By reconfiguring the jumpers, both can work together.

In addition, there's an app note called Supporting SD Card and Wifi on Development Boards explaining the details; unfortunately it is not yet posted on the NB site, although it was forwarded after a support request. NB guys: why not post it?

Finally, when using both interface, it should come as no surprise that the throughput to the SD card is apparently reduced , although I haven't quantified it yet. This might be be addressed by enabling one interface or the other at specific times to multiplex between them.