Serial with MOD5270 + Carrier Board v1.08

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
obnauticus

Serial with MOD5270 + Carrier Board v1.08

Post by obnauticus »

Alright, so I have no idea where to get started with this so I'm just going to ask what direction I should be going in. I am trying to make a telemetry and Data Acquisition (DAQ) system for a Formula SAE (FSAE) vehicle.

The engine control unit (ECU) is a MoTeC M400 with both CAN and Serial (RS232) outputs for data logging, analysis and tuning (CAN only). The first question I have is: how do I get the MOD5270 to store the data from the serial port on the carrier board to the SD card? I am also wondering what the best method would be to store and write the data to the SD card in real-time (the car turns on and off a lot since people are working on it a lot, so I'm slightly concerned about filesystem corruption). I think the maximum baud rate for the serial port is 19200 so I am also not sure how capable the MOD5270 will be at storing and streaming it through the NIC in parallel to a remote host (for live remote analysis and external storage in a database).

Eventually this system will be connected to some WiFi equipment which will allow for remote monitoring and data analysis, but for now it's all wired (because going wireless is moderately trivial if it is all using WiFi).

Thank you in advance!
ecasey

Re: Serial with MOD5270 + Carrier Board v1.08

Post by ecasey »

Why not use the 5234 or 5282 with built-in CAN?

Look in the .../nburn/examples/mod5234 (or 5282) folder for the CANSERIAL example. That should guide you through the CAN data capture side.
Then look at the EFFS examples and choose one (probably HTML) for the filesystem storage side.

It should be easy to cobble those together.

Baud 19200 should give you lots of time to process on the 5234 or 5282.
v8dave

Re: Serial with MOD5270 + Carrier Board v1.08

Post by v8dave »

I agree with ecasey, if you are data logging the Motec and all the data is available on the CAN connection, you would be better using this to capture the data. Decoding is going to be a lot easier too without having to parse the RS232 data.

As for handling power down when writing to the flash you will have to use some for of battery power or have sufficient reservoir capacity on the supply and detect loss of power. This is the only real way to handle this situation.

Dave...