good quality SD card socket

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
lgitlitz

Re: good quality SD card socket

Post by lgitlitz »

This thread is actually the first NetBurner has heard of the obsolescence of this part ( SD-RSMT-2-MQ ). I am scanning through a few SD card sockets now and will order some for quality testing. I highly doubt we will find one with the same footprint but that would be the ideal solution. Sad to see this part go as it had better construction then other sockets we tested and a much better low volume price point. Will post again in this thread with the socket we choose.
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Hi Larry: would you consider a microSD instead of an SD?
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

The microSD has no write protect so you either need to modify the library or tie that pin to GND. I needed the IO pin so I just modified the library function that returns the write protect state.

Dave...
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

Ridgeglider wrote:Hi Larry: would you consider a microSD instead of an SD?
Currently we use SD Card sockets on a few products... MOD-DEV-100, MOD-DEV-70, SB70LC-ADPT-100, PK70 and SB700EX. Everything except for the SB700EX uses that regular SD Card socket from 3M. It would be rather easy to switch the three development boards to micro-SD. Micro-SD seems to be the most common memory card type I am encountering in new devices and I planned on discussing this swap with the other Engineers here. The PK70 would be more difficult as the case might need modification.

The SB700EX currently uses the micro-SD from 3M which Digikey has also listed as obsolete. Mouser and the 3M website do not mention it is discontinued, I am contacting them to see the status on this part. This product will stay micro-SD for sure but may also need a new socket.
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Larry:
A while ago I posted an inquiry about replacements for an obsolete SD card socket. Did you ever find a replacement, or perhaps an micro SD socket?
Thanks.

http://forum.embeddedethernet.com/viewt ... cket#p4171