74lvc16245 bus transceiver for prototyping

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
thomastaranowski

74lvc16245 bus transceiver for prototyping

Post by thomastaranowski »

Netburner uses the 74lvc16245 as it's bus interface to the on-board cpld. I'm working on a similar design, and am trying to breadboard up a prototype. It's a pretty wide chip, and all of the ssop to dip packages I have are too narrow. What do you folks use?

I ended up sawing a smt protoboard in half to get the spacing I needed!
lgitlitz

Re: 74lvc16245 bus transceiver for prototyping

Post by lgitlitz »

For SMD to dip adapters I usually use futurlec.com adapters. The 48 Pin SSOP should work with the same package version of this buffer. I just visually sized up their adapter with the MOD-DEV-100 and it looks like a match. Futurlec is a great source for very low cost components even in very small quantity. These adapter boards are only $0.90 each in singles and the smaller adapters are $0.50. The problem with futurlec is their shipping, they ship from Asia and take a long time. They also do not indicate availability on their website and will hold up an entire order if a single part is not in stock. They are a great place to get parts to stock up your supply but not so great when you need the parts yesterday.

Edit: Forgot the link( http://www.futurlec.com/SMD_Adapters.shtml )
thomastaranowski

Post by thomastaranowski »

Wow, .90 is a seriously good deal. I ordered 1+ of everything :)
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

I actually find that with the low cost of PCB's these days it is far easier to design a prototype PCB instead of trying to do designs on protoboards. I even design a prototype PCB before that plugged into the DEV board and after this was tested I did the final PCB design. By the time I purchased adaptors and did all the wiring, the cost would have been the same or higher.

This way you can also be sure that timing is not affected or stray capacitance etc.

Dave...