CS1,2,3

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
v8dave

CS1,2,3

Post by v8dave »

Hi all,

I don't yet have my Netburner DEV kit and there is no manuals on the website I can download.

I am finishing off a custom PCB for it and I need to check if any of the Chip Selects, 1,2 or 3 areconnected to anything internal to the Netburner module or are these free for external use?

Cheers,
Dave...
lgitlitz

Re: CS1,2,3

Post by lgitlitz »

The CS Pins brought out to the header are unused and come directly from the processor pins. I highly recommend that prototyping your design on a dev board or at least testing the functionality of the hardware before spinning a PCB. This is especially true when working with the external bus. The address and data lines are shared with the module flash and SDRAM, any contention on these signals will result in the module not properly booting. It is recommended to use an external bus buffer on the data lines, similar to the MOD-DEV-100 carrier, to reduce line capacitance and prevent reflections that may cause bus contention.
v8dave

Re: CS1,2,3

Post by v8dave »

Hi there,

Thanks.

Because I am trying to test with a colour LCD which has a 0.5mm pitch connector, I need to make up a simple test PCB to connect the DEV100 board to my LCD interface PCB. I will use the DEV100 buffered bus connections to this test board.

The main PCB I have designed, but not yet commited to making, has the 16 bit bus driver as per the DEV100 design.

By using the onboard buffer of the DEV100 I can test my LCD interface and know that the code works. If I then build my own PCB and it does not, I can know that the bus driver is the issue. I am confident though, as the design is very simple, that it will work. I have used the same pinout and device as the DEV100.

You can get 1 off boards made very cheaply nowadays so the cost factor is not so great but you are right, you need to check the design 100%.

Thanks for your help.
Dave...