RTC chip obsolete

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
kevin_d_mccall

RTC chip obsolete

Post by kevin_d_mccall »

Hi Guys,

My company uses NetBurner software on our own hardware (we have a source code license) and have encountered the obsolecence of the RTC chip problem.
I note that Release 2.3 of the NNDK has support for a new replacement and an updated driver - is it possible to post this new driver for a loyal customer? Or at least information on the new RTC chip you are using?
Are there any hardware changes or is it pin compatible with the old Intersil chip?

Thanks in anticipation,
Kevin :-)
BBAdmin
Site Admin

Re: RTC chip obsolete

Post by BBAdmin »

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for using NetBurner products. We encourage postings of examples and any customer written code, we do not want any system source files posted in the forum. Questions such as these will have to go through your NetBurner support account. If you are going to switch a hardware component, it is important that you are using the version of tools that was tested with that component to avoid any incompatibilities or erratic operation. Our support engineers can help you with the software and hardware.
kevin_d_mccall

Post by kevin_d_mccall »

Thanks for that and I fully understand the reluctance post system files.

Any chance that anyone know what chip you are using on your new hardware?
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Kevin: are you saying there's support for an RTC driver newer than the NXP PCF8563TS? About a year ago NB added suport for the NXP IC to replace the discontinued X1226. Are you saying the NXP PCF8563TS may be abandonded too? If so, I'd also be interested in the supported alternatives as I'm just planning a board that included the '8563 IC out of habit!
kevin_d_mccall

Post by kevin_d_mccall »

DON'T PANIC (as Douglas Adams is fond of saying) It's the X1226 obsolecence I was refering to - WOW was that a year ago! I use an X1205 - almost same as X1226 but has no EEPROM.

Thanks for details on newer alternative - I am having a devil of a time with the Intersil alternative ISL 12026 and wondered what NetBurner had gone with for the dev boards - my dev board is Circa 2004 v1.03.
BBAdmin
Site Admin

Post by BBAdmin »

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for your understanding. The NXP part mentioned in the last post is the one we chose, and is not pin or software compatible with the X1226. We chose the NXP part because the user base was much larger and we felt there was less of a chance of it being discontinued, and also because the cost is significantly less (almost 10 times less in our volumes) and would be a better fit for our customers who want to use it.