MOD5270 slow download and serving speed

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
garethconner

MOD5270 slow download and serving speed

Post by garethconner »

I just started playing with my MOD5270 development kit. Working through some of the "Getting Started" manual, I tried importing the FactoryDemo and then downloading it onto the module. I was surprised to see that it takes about 4 minutes to program the device. Furthermore, when viewing pages from the demo it takes about 15 seconds for the pages to display and refresh when browsing the LED demo page.

I have tried using DHCP through the local network router and then static IP addressing with crossover cable with the same result. Viewing the flash videos on the Netburner site I can see that what I'm experiencing is not typical performance, any ideas what may be going wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
seulater

Re: MOD5270 slow download and serving speed

Post by seulater »

Do you have it properly setup using the IP Setup Tool ?
garethconner

Post by garethconner »

I believe so, but perhaps I'm missing something. The board is currently configured for DHCP, and I set the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0. I have also tried using static IP addresses with no benefit.

Programming the board and viewing the factory sample through a browser both work, but it is extremely slow. For instance, the tictactoe page takes about 15-20 seconds to refresh after each click on the tic-tac-toe grid. Loading the program onto the module takes around 4 minutes.

If there is something silly that I'm doing wrong, I'd appreciate some advice.
seulater

Post by seulater »

Ya, somthing is defiantly wrong, it should only take 2-3 seconds to download to the board.
As far as the browser goes, it should be instant.

I have never had this trouble before, so hopefully NB or someone else will get you an answer soon.
garethconner

Post by garethconner »

Thanks for confirming that this is abnormal, I'll try emailing tech support directly.
garethconner

Post by garethconner »

FYI, it looks like an incompatibility with my network switch. Swapping the switch out cured the issue with the Netburner module. Now programs are burned in <5 seconds and web pages are served from the module instantly. Life is good.
seulater

Post by seulater »

Strange, what make was it ?

Ya, know that brings back to memory a issue I had with a switch one time.
I reset it and the problem went away. To NB defense it was because I was swapping NB modules in and out all with the same IP, so I am sure I was freaking out the switch.
garethconner

Post by garethconner »

It's a Linksys 10/100Mb 24-port unmanaged switch. I swapped it out with a Netgear switch and the problem went away. The Linksys switch worked fine with the rest of the gear in my shop (a few computers and a bunch of Rabbit micro's running motors), but it didn't play well with the Netburner module.
seulater

Post by seulater »

Huh, i would have expected it not to play nice with rabbit rather than NB.