Which tool shows ColdFire HW configuration information?

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
yevgenit

Post by yevgenit »

ColdFire® Family Programmer’s Reference Manual (CFPRM Rev. 3 03/2005) fragment at chapter 1.10 Hardware Configuration Information:
"ColdFire hardware configuration information is loaded into the D0 and D1 general-purpose registers after system reset. The hardware configuration information is loaded immediately after the reset-in signal is negated, as this allows an emulator to read out the contents of these registers via BDM and determine the hardware configuration."
Yevgeni Tunik
Embedded/RealTime software engineer
https://www.linkedin.com/in/yevgenitunik/

Re: Which tool shows ColdFire HW configuration information?

Post by lgitlitz »

I think you are confused about what the HW configuration info is. At processor boot the D0 register contains data that tells you the processor type, the core revision, the MAC type, FPU type, ISA typ and a few other things. The main reason for this info is so you can connect to any Coldfire processor with a BDM and then the BDM software can determine how to talk to that device. Since you already know what processor you are using this information is not needed. What is your main goal here?
yevgenit

Post by yevgenit »

Yes, I need to know the the hardware configuration information, which is hold at D0 and D1 registers immediatelly after reset.
My main goal here is sometimes re-check, if certain Freescale errata or another architecture feature (ISA_A vs ISA_A+, etc) is applicable to the given mod5270 board.
It's not significant for me, how the desired software tool retrieves the mcf5270 revision specifics: by reading the D0 and D1 registers immediatelly after reset, or by reading some in-silicon ROM, or by another method.
lgitlitz wrote:I think you are confused about what the HW configuration info is. At processor boot the D0 register contains data that tells you the processor type, the core revision, the MAC type, FPU type, ISA typ and a few other things. The main reason for this info is so you can connect to any Coldfire processor with a BDM and then the BDM software can determine how to talk to that device. Since you already know what processor you are using this information is not needed. What is your main goal here?
Yevgeni Tunik

Post by lgitlitz »

You should be looking at the Chip Identification Register (CIR). This register contains the part revision number which will relate to errata fixes. This register is mentioned in the Chip Configuration Module chapter of the reference manual.
The values of the HW configuration information in D0, D1 is fixed and will never change between revisions of the same processor.

-Larry
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

Actually after a second look, the revision number is also stored in the Hardware Configuration info but it is easier to access it through the CIR register I mentioned.

Another note about the hardware configuration information for NetBurner products:
All current products are based on the Core 2 Coldfire core
All products have an eMAC except those based on the MCF5272 and MCF5213 which contain the MAC peripheral
All products use the ISA_A+ instructions except those based on the MCF5272 which use the ISA_A instructions
None of the products contain a FPU or MMU

Paul recently posted a spy photo of a future product based on the MCF547x processor. This is a Core 4 processor with eMAC, FPU, MMU and ISA_B instructions. Performance clocking in at 410 (Dhrystone 2.1) MIPS, its a powerful little processor.
yevgenit

Post by yevgenit »

Just a note: according to Freescale support, "MCF5270 implements ISA_A, MCF5271 implement ISA_A+".

[quote="lgitlitz"]...
Another note about the hardware configuration information for NetBurner products:
All current products are based on the Core 2 Coldfire core
All products have an eMAC except those based on the MCF5272 and MCF5213 which contain the MAC peripheral
All products use the ISA_A+ instructions except those based on the MCF5272 which use the ISA_A instructions
None of the products contain a FPU or MMU
Yevgeni Tunik

Post by yevgenit »

Thanks, the problem of "inspecting chip revision" is solved with watch expression "sim.ccm.cir" of the debugger.

[quote="lgitlitz"]...Actually after a second look, the revision number is also stored in the Hardware Configuration info but it is easier to access it through the CIR register I mentioned. ...
Yevgeni Tunik

Post by lgitlitz »

MCF5270 and MCF5271 are essentially the same processor. The MCF5271 adds an encryption engine and Industrial temp but everything else is identical. In the processor manual introduction it states: "Implements the ColdFire Instruction Set Architecture, ISA_A, with extensions to support the user stack pointer register, and 4 new instructions for improved bit processing". Those added instructions are the difference between A and A+, not sure why they don't call it A+. I have personally made use of these new instructions on the MOD5270 so I have no doubt they are supported. The Freescale site often has typos and small bits of conflicting information so be cautious. I also see that they list the max speed of the MCF5270/71 at 100MHz but NetBurner has been selling the 150MHz versions for years.
yevgenit wrote:Just a note: according to Freescale support, "MCF5270 implements ISA_A, MCF5271 implement ISA_A+".