Alternate Boot monitor crash

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
joshuaberry

Alternate Boot monitor crash

Post by joshuaberry »

Hi,
After what may have been a power cycle during a User Parameter save, my application is scribbled. I shorted the TP1 jumper and got into the Alternate boot monitor. When I enter the Setup menu to reset the MAC, IP etc, I get this:

Code: Select all

nb>setup
MAC address=FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
1.)IP Address =255.255.255.255
2.)IP Mask    =255.255.255.255
3.)IP Gateway =255.255.255.255
4.)TFTP Server=255.255.255.255
5.)TFTP File  =
6.)Baudrate  =
and then nothing... I can't get any response from over the serial port and I have to reset the board.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at a bit of a loss..

Thanks
Josh
sulliwk06

Re: Alternate Boot monitor crash

Post by sulliwk06 »

I think the last time I trashed my config record I was able to fix it with the IP setup tool, have you tried that?
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

The really awful way to fix this would be to manually edit the memory... Alternatively, do a full recovery boot (hold in the override jumper until the altmon is fully running and you have the prompt). That should pull in the default config record.

Another alternative is to force boot to the native monitor (the bit that runs at the start of the world...) with the command NATIVEBOOT.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

The key item you missed is tha alternate boot jumper MUST STAY IN PLACE till you actually see the nb> prompt and
all messages are done. If you only hold it a moment or get there with a 'A' to abort key then it does not restore the default config record.

To be 100% complete:
If you have one of the very first 25 units sent out 3 or so years ago you could have an issue with config record recovery, but this is really doubtful as
I think we recovered and reprogrammed all of those... it was a long time ago...