Using smtp.gmail.com server to send email

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
rquach

Using smtp.gmail.com server to send email

Post by rquach »

Hi all,

I am using a Google email server to send email from one of our product, and the server name I use is smtp.gmail.com, I have the user name and password. However, the destination email address does not receive any thing.
I need help. Please advice what to do.

Thanks,
RQ
lgitlitz

Re: Using smtp.gmail.com server to send email

Post by lgitlitz »

Last time I checked the gmail service only supported logging on with either SSL or TLS security. The NetBurner email client only supports plain text passwords. To use the standard NetBurner email client you will need to log on to a SMTP server that allows plain text authentication. You can then sent an email to Gmail via that SMTP server. In the past I have gotten a NetBurner to send email directly to Gmail and Yahoo by using the DNS library and acting as my own SMTP server. It was not working 100% but pretty close. I will try to find some time to make a wiki article showing how to do this.

-Larry
rquach

Post by rquach »

Ok. smtp.gmail.com is not a suitable email server for netburner. Do you know of any suitable server?
I need an external public server like gmail but which allows plan text authentication.
Thanks,
RQ
thomastaranowski

Post by thomastaranowski »

I don't think such a beast exists (public smtp server that requires plain text login). Not knowing your network architecture, I would suggest using the netburner to send email to the smtp server on the local network, perhaps a local linux server, which then forwards to the appropriate recipients out in the world.

As an alternative, with the SSL add-on, I think all the tooling exists on the netburner to do the necessary authentication. You might be able to come up with a quick prototype application to do the tls login, etc. within a reasonable amount of time. Having never working with the protocol at that level, though, I can't really how involved that would be.
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

I am currently creating some new functionality which will allow you to send to most public email addresses without using a separate mail server. Basically what I will be doing is using a new modified version DNS library to request the mail exchange(mx) server IP. You then should be able to send an email directly to this address acting as a SMTP server. This method does not require you use a password or authentication to send emails to public email servers. It still may not work in all cases due to certain limitations that have been implemented to prevent spam. For example, we had to modify the main netburner mail server to report "www.netburner.com" on reverse DNS requests to be allowed to send mail to certain mail servers. There is no real way to get around some of these server based spam blockers besides sending your email from a trusted/known server.

This new functionality will require an upgrade to the next NNDK as the DNS library will need to be expanded. A new mail example will be added to make this easier to follow.

-Larry
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

Another update on the new mail functionality....

The good news....
I have modified the DNS driver to request and parse MX DNS messages. The email driver was also modified to use this new DNS feature and directly send mail to the recipients mail server. I was able to send email successfully to my Gmail account using only a bogus from address. No user name, password or SMTP server are required.

The somewhat bad news....
The server spam filter I mentioned earlier appears to be an issue. I was unable to send the same email to my Yahoo account. The error message gave me a link to the following web page for explaination: "http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/p ... er-22.html"
It appears that you can fill out a form here to become an "accepted" mail server but this will not be a very helpful if you have many unique NetBurner IPs trying to send mail. I guess one option would be to fill out the form for one IP and have that NetBurner route the mail for all the NetBurners you have in the field... which is essentially setting up a SMTP server, exactly what we were trying to avoid.
So my next step is to fiddle with some of the parameters to see if I can get successful mail to Yahoo. I also will try the Gmail test from my home IP since there is a chance that the NetBurner office IP is registered as "safe" with Gmail. I also want to try some other popular, public email servers to see what the results will be.

Sorry but this new feature also got voted off the new build (NNDK2.2rc2 ). We are in the final stages of this new build and we can't add any questionable new code. The new build is looking to be rock solid and it would be best if we keep it that way. This is still a feature I will add but it will have to wait for the beta that follows this new build. I also have no problem giving these modified system files and an example to anyone through the standard NetBurner support system.

-Larry