Question about debug sessions and terminate

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
fd9750

Question about debug sessions and terminate

Post by fd9750 »

Hi,
I am using an MOD5114 with a dev-70 board.
Everything appears to work OK as I am perfectly capable of running the factorydemo.
Debugging appears to be working as well: I can start a session and for example make the application run up to a particular breakpoint.

The thing I am wondering about is the "Terminate" button, when I read the documentation using it is supposed to stop the current debug session but it appears that it does not.

What I would like to do is:

- start a debug session (e.g.: run to a breakpoint).
- Terminate the debug session.
- restart the application to, for example, make it run to another breakpoint.

The odd thing is that when I want to restart I get a message that another session is still running (terminate did not work correctly ?) and whether or not I want to terminate it and continue with a new build. If I do indicate to do so it correctly builds, flashes a new version into the unit and neatly runs up to my new breakpoint location.

Thats what I think is odd: I thought I terminated the previous session and I am sure I did not make any changes to the application other than selecting another breakpoint location. I would think there is no need for any building and flashing, simply restarting the application should do well enough.

The main question is: am I overlooking something or is this behaviour the normal way of doing things ?

Any help/suggestion much appreciated.
tod

Re: Question about debug sessions and terminate

Post by tod »

I was discussing this in another thread. Here's a summary
Hit the red square terminate icon to stop the program AND THEN hit the remove all terminated launches button and manually select the C/C++ perspective.
[EDIT]
Yes reloading the application on every debug launch is the SOP. See this post for how to debug without doing an application load