Finding the other end of #ifdef blocks

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
barttech

Finding the other end of #ifdef blocks

Post by barttech »

I have Eclipse set up to grey out areas inside an #ifdef or #ifndef that are not complied, and I've commented my #endif s to make it clearer where my blocks are, but somewhere I've got an extra unmatched #ifdef that I cannot find.
Eclipse will highlight a code block if you double-click to the right of the { or }. Is there a way to get it to do similar thing with #ifdef blocks?
Sam
tod

Re: Finding the other end of #ifdef blocks

Post by tod »

Yes. See the image.
ifdefFolding.jpg
ifdefFolding.jpg (131.98 KiB) Viewed 5493 times
barttech

Post by barttech »

Thanks Tod,
Another useful feature I didn't know about. Seems you can also do Ctrl-<Numpad/> to toggle it on and off.
I actually wanted to be able to have the block highlighted, not collapsed, but I think this would have helped me find my mis-matched #ifdef blocks as well.
Sam
tod

Post by tod »

I don't know of a way to highlight the folded code. I discovered this folding feature when trying to emulate Visual Studio's region folding, I documented the process for code region folding in Eclipse. The short version is to just combine the trick I showed you here with #if(1)/#endif. Of course it's better to keep your classes short enough that you don't need regions at all, but for some dispatch and mediator classes that can be problematic.
barttech

Post by barttech »

I just stumbled on what I was looking for.
If you have code folding on but expand the section of #ifdef of interest, and you hover over the circled -, it will draw a line to the corresponding #endif. Handy when you've grabbed too many lines in a cut and paste and you end up with an "unbalanced #endif".
Sam
tod

Post by tod »

If you use the Outline window (and why wouldn't you?) you'll also notice that #if and #ifdef affect that view too. Items hidden are shown with a different icon and there's an option to completely hide the inactive items. That could provide some quick forensics when looking at a large classes.