Where is make

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
SeeCwriter

Where is make

Post by SeeCwriter »

I just installed the IDE on a new Win7 PC and I went to the system directory to run "make clean" and I get
an error about 'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command. I checked the system PATH and
there is no path to make. Shouldn't the install have added the path to environment variable?
SeeCwriter

Re: Where is make

Post by SeeCwriter »

It turns out that none of the necessary paths were added to the PATH variable. This happened with both
v2.5.2 and v2.5.3. The only difference that I can come up with is that this new PC is Win7 Pro, 64-bit, where
my old PC was WinXP, 32-bit. FYI.
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Sounds like something else may be going on. Have used quite a few Win 7 64 bit PCs with successful and automatic mods to path during NB install.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Maybe a privileges issue? Did you install from a user account? Maybe it does not have rights to modify those variables?
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Maybe the same issue I had with the path variable being too long.

I had to edit mine to remove apps that were no longer on the machine. I also had the issue of it looking at Borlands make.

I manually setup the path to make and now it works.

Most likely as rnixon says, the installation has to be done as admin rights.

Dave...
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Yes, I think I remember doing that. From Win 7 HELP:

To run an application one time with a full administrator access token
Locate the program icon or a shortcut in Windows Explorer.

Right-click the program icon or shortcut, and then click Run as administrator.

When the UAC message is displayed, do one of the following:

If you are logged on as a standard user, or if UAC is configured to always require credentials, enter the appropriate administrative credentials, and then click OK.

If you are logged on as an administrator and UAC is not configured to always require credentials, click Yes to start the application.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I have UAC disabled. But I did not use the "Run as Admin" feature. That may be the reason. I guess
I associated the "Run as Admin" with older applications. If all installations need to use that feature
one wonders why MS didn't enable it by default? (retorical)
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

Would the lack of using "Run as Admin" also explain why no shortcuts were added to the desktop?