Why cant NB accept HTML files

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
Brian Click

Re: Why cant NB accept HTML files

Post by Brian Click »

You're right, let's get back to your question. There's some interesting stuff behind it

I am using the Eclipse IDE and the NB does accept .html files, .htm files, and a combination/mix of the two. I just tested it; I renamed my index.htm to index.html, recompiled, and viola, now my starting page (not "default page") is index.html. All my other pages retained the .htm extension (so the existing refs in index.html still worked). Sort of good so far.

What remains an issue is the fact that the default page, as defined in the htmldata.cpp file:

Code: Select all

/*Autogenerated data file */
#include "htmlfiles.h"

const char * default_page="INDEX.HTM";
<snip>
cannot be changed. So the default page (ex. that a browser will direct to if only the root IP address is entered) *MUST* be named index.htm. You can still browse to it by entering the explicit filename in the browser address bar - but I'm unsure if there are any other implications...
Last edited by Brian Click on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thomastaranowski

Post by thomastaranowski »

I understand your pain. I have a fairly large site I develop off to the side using Aptana(html IDE). When I want to deploy, one of the steps is that I have to copy the files over to where NB wants them to be. I'm running cygwin, so I created a bash script to do the job. It could easily rename in the process. One could also use a .bat file. I wish my web IDE was versatile enough such that I could retarget the 'play' button to run the deploy script, but I'm not there yet. My work flow looks like this:
* Edit web pages in IDE
* save all
* alt-tab to cygwin window, type deploy
* go into NB IDE and get it to rebuild.

This could also be done nicely via a make framework outside of NB eclipse, but thats neither here nor there.
"""Because, when your developing a web site, and your testing each piece, its a pita to have the web development program export it to the NB directory, then you have to go there and rename it each time. it would be one less step to simply export it, then refresh, recompile and try it."""
Brian Click

Post by Brian Click »

I found it - the default page is available as an option / parameter to comphtml.exe. Discovered via "RTFM" methods. ;-)

It is in here along with lots of other useful bits --> NetBurnerTools.PDF

The command line (in Eclipse, Project...Properties...C/C++ Build...Tool Settings...NetBurner comphtml...) is:

comphtml -dINDEX.HTML

tested and works, have a nice day guys
seulater

Post by seulater »

Thanks for your detective work, i am surprised that NB didnt just jump in and say that from the start