how to get TCP/IP max. rate for NNDK & PC?

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
savaliya_ambani

how to get TCP/IP max. rate for NNDK & PC?

Post by savaliya_ambani »

I am running an application for the NNDK MOD5282 which acts as a client and WINDOW XP PC which will act as a server. and i got the max. throughput of 20 Mbps with the 10/100 Mbps port . but i need 50 Mbps , so is is possible to get this rate? how can i reach that?

Can i change the window size on the NNDK side? if yes , how? or is there any more solution on both side(PC&NNDK)?
lgitlitz

Re: how to get TCP/IP max. rate for NNDK & PC?

Post by lgitlitz »

Hi,
20 Mbit sounds like you are using an older build then NNDK2.2. The 2.2 and higher versions of the release now use on-chip SRAM to boost performance way above the 20mbit mark. I am attaching a benchmark application to this thread. There is also a text document called NB_Benchmark_results.txt in this zip that shows performs gains calculated with the newer version of the build. These numbers might be slightly different in the newest build but they should still be close.

With a MOD5282 you should be able to achieve about 76mbit/s of total bandwidth when sending UDP. That includes all data sent on the wire such as headers and Ethernet frames. All the data being sent is also already available. Thee numbers will likely decrease if you are creating the data as it is being sent.

The TCP data test in this example is purely a data throughput test so the values provided exclude the overhead. Overhead in this case are headers, framing data, re-transmits, acks.... ext. This test provides a more "realistic" measure for throughput since it uses TCP and only includes the data you are sending. The MOD5282 gets about 39 mbit/s in this test, up about 100% from the 20mbit you saw in your tests.

If you must get 50+mbit of TCP data throughput then I suggest switching to either the MOD5270 or the MOD5234. These processors both show about 52mbit on this same TCP test. They also get 90+mbit in the UDP test. Still you will have trouble maintaining this throughput if you are doing other things with the processor while sending data. These tests results will also decrease if you are sending data on a noisy network or over long distances such as the internet.

-Larry
Attachments
NB_Benchmark.zip
Benchmark application that calculates speed of OS task switch, interrupt switch, non-maskable interrupt switch, UDP total bandwidth and TCP data bandwidth.
(23.51 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
savaliya_ambani

Re: how to get TCP/IP max. rate for NNDK & PC?

Post by savaliya_ambani »

HI, Igitlitz,

Thanks for your reply, i got real information from your side.thank you.
so, i have checked the NNDK version and its 1.2 .
see, on NNDK side which is a client ,only uses functon called send(fd,&buf,1440); and at the PC server there is only function called recv(fd,&buf,1440). this loops for , say 80000 times. and i got the rate 26.6 Mbps rate. still i need speed upto 50 Mbps.
i didnt find any nore clue to increasing the speed, except your suggested
UDP Transmisstion. is it possible to get the rate with TCP it self. and how can i upgrade by NNDK version?