Debug hover no longer working

Topics for the Eclipse Environment
v8dave

Debug hover no longer working

Post by v8dave »

Hi all,

I seem to have lost the ability to do debug hovering. When I do this now I get only the source help appearing.

I checked the settings and they show that debugging via hover is enabled. I also looked on the net and there seems to be a few with this Eclipse issue.

My Android development seems unaffected by this (different Eclipse installation)

Any ideas why it has stopped working?

Dave...
tod

Re: Debug hover no longer working

Post by tod »

Because sometimes Eclipse is ornery? ;) Try in the preferencs setting for Hovers hitting the Restore Defaults followed by Apply and see if that "fixes" it.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Tried that. Still the same.

For some reason, it looks like Eclipse does not know that it is in the debug state as there is no Add Watch in the context menu when I right click on a variable. It used to be there.

:(

Dave...
tod

Post by tod »

You do have the Debug Perspective active right? In the version I just tested with (Indigo) when I right click on a source file I have an "Add Watch Expression..." and three other debug commands. What version of Eclipse are you using?
DebugContextMenu.jpg
DebugContextMenu.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
Can you manually add an expression under the Expressions tab?

Other things I try when Eclipse misbehaves are:
1. Recreating the project. You might just see if another existing project works better.
2. Create a new workspace, import the project.
If you're not using NBEClipse
3. Try Check For Updates...
4. In desperation, I will do a new install of Eclipse in a new location with no additional plug-ins and see if the problem happens there. If not I start uninstalling plug-ins til I find the culprit.

I haven't really had many problems with Galileo or Indigo. Juno has been a little more temperamental.

[Edit]Just thought of something else. You aren't debugging library code (as opposed to device executable code) are you? When I create NB libraries the debug build does not define _DEBUG so I have to do it manually, I wrote this up in a blog entry.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi Tod,

This is the original 2.5.2 installation and I have never applied any updates. In fact, I just tried and there was none found.

I have not made any changes to the build environment either so can't see any reason it won't work.

Dave...
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

I got it working again.

I went into the settings and changed the debug to (-3) option. Compiling gave an error so I changed it back, did a clean and rebuild and now I have debug hover again.

Very strange but at least I can recover if it happens again!
ecasey

Post by ecasey »

Hi Dave,

When you had the hover problem, did it draw the outline of the box, but not fill it in? I have that happen from time to time and once it starts, I have to shut Eclipse down and re-start it.

Ed
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi Ed,

No. It just chose the source option and shows the help etc.