Wifi

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
ecasey

Wifi

Post by ecasey »

Paul Breed recently wrote:
I should probably recreate this and capture it as an app note... alas I up to my eyeballs in a wifi driver and its likely
that at least three other things will be on fire by the time I come up for air... remind me in September and I'll write something up
Are we that close to the new Wifi module - September?

Ed
sblair

Re: Wifi

Post by sblair »

What is the status on the new Wifi card? I'm designing a platform product that is intending to use it but am nervous about the compatibility for the new one...
sblair

Post by sblair »

Hello?? Anyone??

Also there is a small correction that needs to be made on the existing Wireless page on the NB website: "Note: A new wireless solution will be introduced in the coming months."

I believe "months" should read "years" as I've been staring at the same notice for over a year now. :)
BBAdmin
Site Admin

Post by BBAdmin »

Hello sblair,

We are actively working on a wifi solution as our highest priority. We have thusfar gone through 2 venddor's chipsets only to discover midway through development that they did not function as promised. Things like excessive packet loss, low performance, inability to scan while connected, and many more issues that would prove unacceptable. On our side the driver development has been much more difficult than expected since we need raw packet mode and not the AT command style mode used by many systems. We are now on our 3rd replacmenet vendor and the h/w look very capable. But again the driver is very difficult, especially with limited documentation describing the low level protocol commands and registers. Unfortunently we are not able to answer the question of when it will be available due to past experience. We understand this is very frustrating for our customers, but we are being as transparent as we can as to what is going on in development (everything is under NDA). We are doing our best to get a solution out as soon as possible.
sblair

Post by sblair »

I appreciate the honestly. I think we all understand the challenges of development. I know it is a bit hard to estimate time, but at this point is it fair to say that it is still at least 6 months or more out?

Thanks.
Scott
BBAdmin
Site Admin

Post by BBAdmin »

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your understanding. We have prototype h/w that is working, but the s/w is the most difficult part. As long as 6 months is a possibility.
sblair

Post by sblair »

One last question. With the current HW solution you have, if we have designed to the current Wifi module, will the new one be mechanically/electrically compatible?

Thanks.
Scott