bootloader questions

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
galto

bootloader questions

Post by galto »

I have a feature request for an application where I am being requested to write to the devices internal flash.
I know that something somewhere is going to go terribly wrong and I will erase/overwrite the flash (in particular I'm worried about the bootloader)
1.) How do I re-compile the bootloader?
2.) How do I flash to bootloader back onto the system?
I do have the 26 pin BDM for coldfire chips, someone else was using it for a different coldfire project.
Using the netburner tools, is it possible to get an app on the netburner to then perform the s/w update and bootloader update? If not, how do I recover my brick without shipping it back to netburner?
Forrest

Re: bootloader questions

Post by Forrest »

We have safeguards in place to prevent you from bricking your system. There are also several levels of recovery.

1) If ethernet updates fail, you can update via the boot monitor.
2) If the boot monitor fails, you can request support to send you a monitor recovery procedure to load a new monitor on to the device.
3) If that does not help, you can RMA the module and we will reprogram the device.

Step 2 is going to catch and resolve nearly all of the problems people have with monitor corruption. It is very rare to have to RMA a device with normal usage.
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn