Put web site onto external EEProm ?

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
seulater

Put web site onto external EEProm ?

Post by seulater »

I have a rather large program that has grown to use 88% of the MOD5270's flash. I can no longer keep my web site internal to the flash area. I was thinking if i can slap an 8 pin SPI EEprom on the board i could FTP my web site files into that. Is there a method to allow me to re-direct the software to pull the site from an SPI EEprom rather than from internal flash ?

I beleive i have seen where guys were using the SD card for this, but i dont have the room on the PCB to add an SD card.
Ridgeglider

Re: Put web site onto external EEProm ?

Post by Ridgeglider »

how about microSD? I think the interface is the same.
seulater

Post by seulater »

i believe your right, but i need to keep the cost down, the Micro SD and socket are going to cost more than say a SST25VF080B 50mhz SPI Flash part, But i do thank you for the idea.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

microSD works with the same SD interface except you don't have the LOCK connection.

I am using the Netburner FAT file drivers with a microSD card on my design.

Dave...
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Are you sure it is that much cheaper?

My local supplier Farnell has the device at $6.54 for the SST25VF080B.

The same supplier has a microSD socket for $1.17 and I can get a 2GB microSD card for $5.50 in the local market.

Works out about the same for me here! Not sure about your market but microSD also means no special drivers to write. Wire it up and away you go.

Dave...
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

You may want to consider access time; with any SPI-based storage soln, poor throughput may be an issue, just like it is for the SD cards. If you were designing another interface, improvements might be a goal although any parallel access (either to a dedicated chip or to CF) will probably cost more.
seulater

Post by seulater »

mouser has them for $1.28 single piece.
But i hear what your saying, to just use the SD and go. This is for an industrial application so i will need to have to get an extended temp card and i have been down that road before and they get very expensive,.
seulater

Post by seulater »

Is the C:\nburn\examples\EFFS-STD example what i am looking for ?

also, is there a list somewhere that explains what all the examples do ?
seulater

Post by seulater »

never mind, i get it now.
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

seulater: a few days ago you said you didn't have room fo an sd card... I came across this thing, maybe you could support a daughter board option?? At $7 in singles maybe workable?? http://www.futurlec.com/Mini_SC.shtml... Kind of hokey, but maybe it works?