Eagle netburner library

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
v8dave

Re: Eagle netburner library

Post by v8dave »

I'd love to share them both, but the MOD5234 file is used by myself in commercial projects so I am unable to help you there.! I can offer you the MOD5270 to play with. Is attached here as a zip file.

They were quite easy to create if you have a suitable 3D modelling package and I used a free step model from Tyco for the Ethernet port. the PCB connectors where from Samtec, again as step models. The PCB I just created myself and joined the rest together.

If you don't have 3D software, check this out for a very nice CAD package that is affordable even for home use. I use the Pro version for work and do all my designs with it, including the 3D models you see posted here. The Pro version has sheet metal design capability. Create for making brackets and simple enclosures.

http://www.alibre.com

Dave...
Attachments
Netburner5270.zip
(717.71 KiB) Downloaded 328 times
nemiro

Post by nemiro »

v8Dave-
I, too, use Altium Designer. I read and agree with building new parts and libraries, but that 3D model you have is beautiful! Are you at all willing to share your Altium version?
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi Neil,

My Altium libraries are in my own format, layers, parameters etc but you can use the free MOD5270 step file I posted to create your own. You should be able to convert this to a MOD5234 if you know how to extend the edge of the model... :o)

Dave...
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Attached are JPG, 3d-PDF, and a zipped Step file for a Mod5234 showing an external ethernet plug for clearance. The headers are samtec (with one set on the NB board, and a taller lower set intended for the mating board, the pc-mount ethernet jack is halo. The chips are simply estimated by calipers, and the holes, pin locations, and board edge are determined via the NB mechanical print. There is a point at the pin 1 location for both headers at the level of the mating board surface I believe. Obey the caveats of models that you do not build yourself!!
Attachments
Mod5234Assy with Ethernet Plug.STEP.zip
(1 MiB) Downloaded 296 times
Mod5234Assy with Ethernet Plug.PDF
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 314 times
Mod5234 Assy with Ethernet Plug.jpg
Mod5234 Assy with Ethernet Plug.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 3604 times
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Nice work there RG.. Only downside when I tried to import into Alibre Design was something strange with the RJ45 plug in that is has a face that was way off from the board that I could not edit. Deleting the RJ45 seemed to have cured it and I see that this part (RJ45 plug) appears to have come from 3D Content Central.

I didn't bother with the chips on the underside as even if I place parts under the Netburner, it will still work fine with regards to clearance as the headers are 8mm high as it is..

I also recall that I uploaded my model to 3D Content Central before so my previous statement is invalid about commerical use! Attached is here for anyone wanting to use. Use at you own risk.

Dave...
Attachments
Netburner5234.zip
(931.99 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

V8:
The pc-mount ethernet jack DOES extend beyond the edge of the board, and usually that would be important to retain in any footprint even though it has no bearing on the holes in the board like the headers do. In many layout packages, footprints have a concept of extents, usually a rectangular region outside of which the part can't extend. This solid model comes from SolidWorks and since it may not include an extents layer, Altium may balk. Obviously, the extents would need to be bigger than the NB PCB edge. Similarly, most layout packages have heights associated w/each footprint. The reason I include the IC heights is to help insure that other components (eg like a tall cap) placed beneath the NB don't interfere. Often you can move these (non-NB) parts a little and still get them under the NB, although they could not be placed just anywhere.