Eagle netburner library

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
thomastaranowski

Eagle netburner library

Post by thomastaranowski »

Does anyone know if there is a netburner component library for the Eagle layout tool?
Ridgeglider

Re: Eagle netburner library

Post by Ridgeglider »

Hi tom: I remembered these two files from the old Yahoo NB group and zipped them for you. I have no idea if they are OK. I also seem to remember seeing some NB eagle footprints on sparkfun a while ago, but maybe not...?
Attachments
5282_NBLibs.zip
(8.12 KiB) Downloaded 410 times
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi all,

Do disrespect to the person who created them, but I would be careful about using someone elses library files. I used to do that a few years ago with Altium Designer and got stung with one of the built in libraries with a wrong foot print. I now use only my own library parts I have either created or copied and fully verified before I use any others.

Once you know how to create library parts, and I would suggest you make this a priority as it greatly adds to the software use, then you will find it quite quick to make all you own parts.

Dave...
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

i concur... i don't use eagle now, but the symbols and footprints are really easy to build.
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

I am an Eagle user and I have designed a bunch of boards with it. I agree that using your own footprints is the way to go. I personally prefer two connectors (just like it is) and NOT one big one (which it isn't) for the modules.

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
thomastaranowski

Post by thomastaranowski »

Thanks for the input guys. I've had another person recommend that I just make my own as well. I'm just getting started with board layouts, so it's good to know what the best practices are. It's nice to have at least an initial example to go from to make sure I'm doing it the right way. I'll start with the 5282 files ridge posted so that I'm not totally off in the weeds.

Thanks!
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Chris' advice on the NB parts is good: If you keep 2 symbols (one for J1 and one for J2) they turn out to be quite a bit easier to wield in most schematics. I find the downside is that the two footpints must also then be separate in most layout packages. This is OK, with the BIG exception that the two footprints for J1 and J2 can then be moved inpendently which of course can't really happen if you want the Mod52XX to actually fit! So, when you position them, check, then check again that the offst from J1.1 to J2.1 is cool, then lock them down so they can't move inadvertently. This spacing is also something worth checking in a final review step since most built-in error checking won't catch it if one footprint gets bumped. For these reasons, I actually have J1 and J2 one footprint which also allows me to include one or two of the small mounting holes and some silkscreen graphics for the ethernet jack and the NB board edge. With one footprint, all this stuff moves as a unit. All this helps with the mechanical layout, but makes the schematic somewhat of a pain since often symbols for J1 and J2 want to wind up on different pages.....Basically choose your poison!
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Ridgeglider wrote:With one footprint, all this stuff moves as a unit. All this helps with the mechanical layout, but makes the schematic somewhat of a pain since often symbols for J1 and J2 want to wind up on different pages....
I have them as 2 schematic parts that I can put on any sheet. This makes it easier to put all the memory mapped stuff on a different sheet and the IO on another. Makes it a lot less cluttered and means I can use A4 sheets instead of A3. But then, the software I have allows you to do this and not being familiar with Eagle not sure if you can do this but well worth the effort to find out.

The PCB part is one part complete with a 3D model of the MOD5234 (and 5270). This avoids the issue of alignment and positioning of the connectors.
Attachments
NetburnerMOD5270.jpg
NetburnerMOD5270.jpg (26.78 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
NetburnerMOD5234.jpg
NetburnerMOD5234.jpg (20.46 KiB) Viewed 6871 times
Chris Ruff

Post by Chris Ruff »

Eagle, like any other layout program, allows a component to have sub-parts (think 7408 and-logic or LM324 op-amps).
So the module is a part with two 'gates' that are the connector strips

Chris
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand
rhopf1

Post by rhopf1 »

v8dave,
Love the 3D, do you have these in step? Please post.
Thanks,