Suggestions for Buffering I/O Lines

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
v8dave

Re: Suggestions for Buffering I/O Lines

Post by v8dave »

Nice work. Having something from before sure helps. I was in the position where the only driver I had was for the old Epson SED1335 so mono only.

I looked around for some free stuff I could port and save time and in the end I decided that the time to do this and fix bugs etc it was just not worth it so I took the plunge and purchased the Ramtex drivers. Well worth it as I said before, as only 15 mins work to make small changes and compile it and it was working on this display. I bought it with the graphics convertor so I can do some really nice screens and with the 8MB of SDRAM on the Netburner, I can do simple popup windows too! Running in debug you see the bitmaps being drawn if they are large but once you run it under release mode it just flies and windows are almost instant.

Hope you get the bus buffer issue sorted. These are very nice displays and they draw very little power even with the backlight on.

Dave...
seulater

Post by seulater »

I used the Epson S1D13743F00A2. Personally, i don't like using Epson parts. If your not ordering 10 million your just a fly on the wall to them. If i have to re-visit this project again, i will use the Solomon SSD1926. I have worked with them in the past and they are very helpful.

FYI, you probably know this, but JIC.

http://www.microchip.com/en_us/technology/graphics/

Then click on the "Free Graphics Library" on the right.
They came out with this a few years after i wrote mine, but there might be some usefull stuff in there. You can get the whole source code for their lib's

I talked to NB about making a Kit for them using this 4.3" LCD. THey said sure, but i have to get off my lazy butt and finish it.
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Yeah, I saw this library before but was a bit worried about using this in a commercial application that didn't have a PIC device as part of the design. It would be OK for playing around with or for non-commercial home projects I guess! Looks pretty easy to use and I remember looking at the code and thinking it should port over quite easily.

I have found the Epson guys in Singapore to be very helpful, even to my small company and have received a few samples from them in the past. The main issue with Epson parts is finding a suitable distributor who sells small quantities, ideal 1 or 2 for prototyping.

After the success of the projects using this LCD I have toyed with the idea of building something as part of my home automation. I would ideally like some touch screen displays for control dotted around the place and use wireless to communicate back to the main automation PC. I have an enclosure design in 3D modelling with the PCB and Netburner to check for clearance already and just need to do the same as you and get off my butt and do it. The trouble is I never seem to have time to do it all.

Dave...
seulater

Post by seulater »

just need to do the same as you and get off my butt and do it. The trouble is I never seem to have time to do it all.
Aint it!

FYI, i like the CrystalFonts screen, but it is a bit costly. i have gotten this one and tired it. its lower cost and touch screen.

http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view ... oto-board/

you can get the LCD only for $26 from them, the ribbon is soldered quite easily by hand too!
its on this page at the bottom.
http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/view ... omponents/
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

That lower cost display looks like good value and looking at the drivers I purchased, the HX8345 is supported by it too so I could easily develop for it without any major changes other than recompilation of the LCD drivers.! Nice.

As I am located in the Far East I have to purchase quantities from Crystalfontz so I try to make it 10 if I can as the cost of the shipping adds up on small orders. I also get hit 27.5% DUTY and VAT when they land here so this alternative is certainly worth considering on costs alone but need to see how it would fit with my existing PCB design as the connector is a different location for sure and I do like the fact that the Crystalfontz LCD is plug in with a Molex 50 way and not soldered.

Thanks
Dave...
seulater

Post by seulater »

v8dave, it seems your happy with your graphics software, this is just an FYI as it never hurts to know about other things ;)

http://www.visualglcd.com/
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

That looks good but only seems to be for mono displays. Saying that, I am working with a small 128 x 64 display with an AVR that I was looking for drivers for so I may download this and give it a try! Cheers.

FYI, I use these guys for the graphics driver software. It is really well written and so far has been extremely stable on the Netburner. I hardly had to do any work to get it to compile other than adding the IO stuff which was pretty simple.

www.ramtex.dk

Dave...
seulater

Post by seulater »

Just an update...

The 74LVC245A's did the trick. LCD now working just fine.
pradap

Post by pradap »

I have used the MOD5234 with an LCD with a similar 16 bit bus. I buffered the databus with a SN74LVT16245BDL but as the R/W, A1 and CS2 where only connected to the LCD I did not need to buffer these. The LCD is connected over a 45 way flat flex cable of 200mm in length.Have you used this LCD with the board before? It may actually be just timing that is the main issue?.I found that the LCD I was using had both an E input and a \CS. The E input was basically an inverted \CS but it wouldn't work like this because the CS in the timing was asserted a few ns after the E clock. I had to delay the CS by a very small amount to get the LCD to work. I also had to delay A1 through 2 74AC04 gates too. Attached is the interfacing I used with this LCD. It also shows the databus buffer I used. It is using the Solomon SSD2119 controller on the LCD. :oops: :D

Post by v8dave »

[quote="pradap"]It is using the Solomon SSD2119 controller on the LCD.

Yes, it is using that controller.

Dave...