Powering Mod5234

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
jokes304

Powering Mod5234

Post by jokes304 »

What is the easiest way to power a MOD5234 once it has been programed on the development board? I need to use it free of the board. Please let me know. Thank you.
lgitlitz

Re: Powering Mod5234

Post by lgitlitz »

What is your power supply? If you have a 3.3V supply on your board that can provide 350mA then just connect this to the VCC pins of your module and match the grounds. Otherwise you need to find a power supply to match your input voltage. Since these boards can pull 350mA of current you should go with a switching power supply. The one on the dev-board can work off an input voltage from about 5V-35V. You can copy the design right off the schematics if needed. If you are not comfortable with laying out a power supply then you can buy them in module form. There is a premium on price over laying out your own but if you are making only a few boards then this is definitely the route to go. Go to digikey and look at "DC DC Converters" under power supplies.
jokes304

Post by jokes304 »

lgitlitz wrote:What is your power supply? If you have a 3.3V supply on your board that can provide 350mA then just connect this to the VCC pins of your module and match the grounds. Otherwise you need to find a power supply to match your input voltage. Since these boards can pull 350mA of current you should go with a switching power supply. The one on the dev-board can work off an input voltage from about 5V-35V. You can copy the design right off the schematics if needed. If you are not comfortable with laying out a power supply then you can buy them in module form. There is a premium on price over laying out your own but if you are making only a few boards then this is definitely the route to go. Go to digikey and look at "DC DC Converters" under power supplies.
Right now I am using the USB power supply provided with the board. Do I need to connect 3.3V to all VCC3V pins or just one?
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Does "free of the board" mean you created your own PCB for the module to plug into? You don't want the pins on the headers exposed, its very easy to damage the device that way. What are you going to use for a 3.3VDC supply? You need it to be regulated.