I need to go wireless with my CFV2_40

for everything else
Ron Neal

I need to go wireless with my CFV2_40

Post by Ron Neal »

I need to go from a hardwired ethernet connection on my CRV2_40 to a wireless connection. I also have an NBIO-200 board connected to the CRV2_40. I realize that my hardware is a little dated. I will update the hardware if a another device is built. I would like to obtain a wireless device that would simply plug into the RJ45 ethernet connection but I have not been able to find one. I am open for suggestions.

Thanks,

Ron Neal
lgitlitz

Re: I need to go wireless with my CFV2_40

Post by lgitlitz »

You should be able to use most consumer wireless bridge devices. I just looked over at NewEgg.com and I see they sell a newer version of one I have used in the past:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833156262
This thing is small, cheap and works as a router, access point or client bridge.

I have also used a WRT54GL for making wireless connections from a NetBurner. You will have to load in the open source firmware for this to work in client mode. Just search google for ddwrt or tomato. Also the custom firmware allows really nice QOS, logging and bandwidth monitoring features. This is the likely the all-time best selling consumer router so it will probably give you better reliability and range then the other small travel adapter I mentioned:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833124190
Ron Neal

Post by Ron Neal »

I forgot to mention that I need to be able to power the wireless device with batteries.

Ron
lgitlitz

Post by lgitlitz »

If power is a major concern then definitely go with one of the travel devices. The first device I mentioned may work for you. It does not take batteries but it can be powered via USB or any other 5V source. You will have to add a power wire to your battery. Keep in mind that WiFi is not at all meant to be a low power communication interface. This device says it has a max power draw of 2.5W, I expect the avg power to be in the 1-1.5W range. Getting average power draw details from consumer products like this can be tough without testing the products yourself.
Ron Neal

Post by Ron Neal »

Thanks for the info.

Ron