.history folder needs to be cleaned

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
seulater

.history folder needs to be cleaned

Post by seulater »

Not sure if i should place this post here on in the NetBurner's Eclipse IDE Forum.
I have noticed that my backups are getting larger and larger, so i looked into why this was happening. As it turns out every time you compile a NB project Eclipse creates a new folder and places stuff in there, why i dont know. I just know that when i looked into this there were over 2000 folders in here. This folder i am talking about on my computer is here.
G:\nBurner\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.history
Though, you should note that my install is not the default directory for my projects.
Everyone should check this .history folder and clean it out. I have created a shortcut on my desktop that when i am done for the day i open this folder and deleted all that is in it.
tod

Re: .history folder needs to be cleaned

Post by tod »

I just hit the View unanswered posts so the original question was asked over a year ago...
I would suspect that the .history folder is where Eclipses stores the "local history" files. I've found this feature handy when I'm not being good about doing frequent check-ins to SVN. Eclipse automatically takes snapshots of files as you edit them and then allows you do compare your current version to any of those captured snapshots. You can control the disk space usage inside Eclipse. Use Windows->Preferences->General->Local History. See the attached screen shot
Attachments
LocalHistory.png
LocalHistory.png (75.8 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
seulater

Re: .history folder needs to be cleaned

Post by seulater »

Thanks for letting us know, i will turn that down as i dont use that feature.