Do I understand correctly?

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
RonH

Do I understand correctly?

Post by RonH »

I have two field mounted devices that use RS232 to send data. This is oneway only. They send a 16 character string using 9600,8,1,none protocol. They only use TX and common. Can I place one of the Netburner boards inside each device and set it up with an IP addresss and start a TCIP server that I can then listen for on my network? Or do I need two boards and go through the exercise of going back to RS232 at the receiving end?

Ron H.
rnixon

Re: Do I understand correctly?

Post by rnixon »

Once you convert serial to Ethernet using TCP, you should be able to use any TCP method to get the data. So running a TCP server on your PC that listens for an incoming connection from the netburner device should work fine. This assumes you are using a netburner device with the right capability - you didn't specify what you intend to use, program it yourself, etc.

If you are using one of the serial to ethernet devices, an even easier way to to leave it in default server/listen mode. Then connect to it with a TCP client program from your PC. Data will flow both directions with a TCP connection and you don't need to worry about configuring the serial to ethernet device to make an outgoing connection.