Latest SNMP support

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
johnvan

Latest SNMP support

Post by johnvan »

I see that Netburner recommends DMH software for an SNMP package. I went to the DMH page but they don't show the MODM7AE70 as being one of the Netburner SOMs that they support. Could be that they have just not updated their page.

I'm planning to implement a very simple SNMP query/notification package on the MODM7AE70 that simply notifies where there is a fault. Nothing particularly sophisticated. I was not able to find a lot of specific information about the DMH package. For example what is the cost? I assume that it is royalty free? I get the feeling that this is a package written in C/C++ that is complied under GNU and then supplied to Netburner as a library?

Any thoughts on their documentation? Overall satisfaction with their SNMP package?

Thanks,
John
TomNB

Re: Latest SNMP support

Post by TomNB »

Hello John,

I can comment from the NetBurner side of things. DMH supports all NetBurner platforms, including the MODM7AE70. All customer feedback we have had over the last 12 years has been very positive. I do not have their pricing, but believe it varies by what your specific requirements are, such as a library, source code, etc. We did have a NetBurner SNMP v1 package a while back, but as with security, a good SNMP package requires a company focused on SNMP as a primary product. Especially when it comes to v3, which adds security. Over 90% of requests are for that, since v1 and v2c (adds traps) are not secure. It also helps to have a mib tool for custom mibs, which I believe they have as well.
johnvan

Post by johnvan »

Thanks Tom.

I don't plan to do any configuration via SNMP but like most companies our customers are looking for security so I'll be going the v3 route. The mib should be pretty simple in my case. I've got an example of a v1 mib to go by. Hopefully that will be enough. We prefer configuration to be via browser as the implementation will be easier and with our product once it's configured there is very little need to play with the configuration.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

If you would like to discuss this more, please send an emails to my attention at sales@netburner.com.