Latest cross-compilers for different NNDK releases

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
AlokD

Latest cross-compilers for different NNDK releases

Post by AlokD »

Hello,

I am new to the forum, even though I have been working with NetBurner boards for some time now.

One board I am still actively developing for is NetBurner MOD5282 (I am fully aware it is EoL).

I would like to upgrade the m68k-elf cross-compiler for it, either on Windows or Linux. Even if that is not possible, I would still like to confirm that I have the latest supported one.

Where could I find a page showing compatible compilers for this board and possibly any of your other products? I can only find unofficial pages (which is how I got a toolchain that supports C++1y).

I suppose at the moment I am using NNDK 2.7.3 on Windows 10.

Please let me know. Also, please do correct me if my post is inappropriate for this forum or in the incorrect section.

Thanks
TomNB

Re: Latest cross-compilers for different NNDK releases

Post by TomNB »

Hello Aloc,

Your post is fine here and happy to help. You seem to indicate you are revising the compiler separate from a tools release? What compiler issues are you currently experiencing and/or what features are you looking for?

If you have been using 2.7.x and only want IPv4, then 2.7.7 is the latest release for that tool chain.

If you want the latest supported tool chain for the MOD5282, that would be 2.9.7. The release contains everything, compiler, linker libs, etc.

The latest tool set is 3.5.0. The MOD5282 with its limited resources will not run this release. However, the MODM7AE70 ARM module has 4x the memory, significantly more horsepower, costs less than half the MOD5282 and is a good upgrade path. We have articles that help:

https://www.netburner.com/learn/upgradi ... modm7ae70/

https://www.netburner.com/mod52xx-to-mo ... omparison/

If you are upgrading the entire product due to the EOL, then the new SOMRT1061 would be a choice as well:
https://www.netburner.com/products/syst ... somrt1061/

Also, since you mentioned linux, it is fully supported with installer for 3.x.
Attachments
somrt.jpg
somrt.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
AlokD

Post by AlokD »

Hello TomNB,

Thank you very much for the information about the MODM7AE70 and for letting me know about the limitations of the MOD5282.

This is for a commercial application and unfortunately it is not my decision as to whether I can upgrade to MODM7AE70 or not. However, by comparing them, I could make a case for upgrading.

At the moment, the most important factor for my application is the compiler version (for C++ feature support). I saw that NNDK 2.7.3 only had GCC-4.2.1, so I upgraded to GCC-4.8.0 by downloading the toolchain from elsewhere online, not through NNDK.

I did not know about NNDK 2.9.7, so I did not try that. What version of GCC does that have?

Additionally, what version of GCC does NNDK 3.5 have? Just so I know what features I’m missing until I upgrade the board.

Linux cross-compiler support for NNDK 3.x is also useful, so thank you for that aside as well.

Regards.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I will work on getting you the version. Engineering has asked if you can please provide the compiler features you are looking for that are not in gcc 4.x and gcc 8.x. This would be very useful for us from a development kit standpoint. I do know 2.7.7 stopped at 4.2.1 when it went EOL, so your 4.8 is beyond that.
AlokD

Post by AlokD »

Hello TomNB,

Thanks for very quick reply.

I would be looking to update to C++17 to be able to reuse code from an external codebase with the MOD5282. I believe that requires GCC-7 or GCC-8 for full support, according to this: https://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx-status.html#cxx17

If that is not possible, I would have to get back to you about the exact feature support that would be required and tracing that to the minimum GCC version which is required.

I appreciate your following up with the engineering team. I may also be able to find out the support in NNDK 2.9.7 myself, and will let you know if I do.

Thanks
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I found that 2.9.7 uses version 8.1.There is an IPV4 only flag you can set that might make the port easier. Revision 2.8 and above have dual stack capability, and 2.9.7 has wolfssl, so if you are using security it will take up more flash space.
AlokD

Post by AlokD »

Hello TomNB,

Apologies for the late reply. I was waiting to hear from my team today about whether NNDK 2.9.7 is suitable for our needs at the moment.

Since it supports GCC-8, I received confirmation it should be suitable. Thanks very much for providing us that information.

I will plan to update to that using the existing NetBurner license. If I find that we are still missing any features that do require us to upgrade to MODM7AE70, I will certainly reach out again.

Again, I appreciate your help.