Can't get to work with SBL2e

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
bsimon

Can't get to work with SBL2e

Post by bsimon »

Hi all,
Sorry for the long post :oops:

I am a newbie in NetBurner stuff, evaluating if I can turn SBL2e into an Ethernet to I2C converter.

But I'm stuck in the very beginning...

Issue #1
Connecting UART0 to my PC's COM1 (yes it has a DB9 serial port, haha!), I can't get the monitor to respond. I only read:
Waiting 2sec(s) to start 'A' to abort

No matter if I press A, a, A+Enter, a+ Enter, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA or whatever, the menu + nb prompt simply does not display as the tutorial says.

Except for one of the 5 SBL2e I purchased for evaluation, which displays the monitor menu and prompt without pressing any key.

Anyway I tried typing the supposed monitor commands and none of the 5 SBL2e did anything. No Reset, no Boot, no Help: nothing.

Issue #2
In addition, I tried using IPSetup.exe to fix the SBL2e's IP on 2 devices. Both are now NOT detected by IPsetup.exe. I just set the IP address, no mask or anything else, I guess that's the bricking cause). They don't pong when I ping their (supposed) IP address. I tried reprogramming the factory app to them with MTTY, but I assume that, as I am not getting the nb prompt, I can't get them back to life.

Besides that, is it possible to reprogram the IP settings only? I did not find anything about this in the docs.

Issue#3
I tried twice to program the modules via NBEclipse, one module through UART with the original application and another one via network, with a custom app I made (which I assume has tons of bugs), but none of the tries actually downloaded anything, both program downloads timed out.

Any tip on any of my three problems?

I have only one untouched SBL2e now, if it gets bricked too, I will have to dismiss Netburner as an option for my application, but I assume I may be doing something obviously wrong - though I just cannot imagine what!!
pbreed

Re: Can't get to work with SBL2e

Post by pbreed »

#1 how are the jumpers set on the SBL2E adaptor board?
Look at the SBL2E page on our website, and download the eval board quick start guide...
If your not using the Eval board the serial connections are 3.3V TTL not RS-232 and you need a level converter.

#2The gettign started guide covers this...
You IP address needs to be on your local network with proper mask settings to go with that network.

#3IF you can't ping, or 'A' To abort eclipse is not going to be able to communicate with these either....
Fix problem #1 first.
bsimon

Post by bsimon »

Thanks for your answer.
#1 jumpers are factory default on the SBL2e adaptor board. That was the issue!!! JP3 was set to Rx by USB, not DB9 - don't know why this is default, really. Now I have the Monitor menu & prompt ticking on my terminal. THANKS!

#2 Is there any way to recover a bad IP-setup device?

#3 Will try asap - probably on Monday (GMT + 1 here :) )
bsimon

Post by bsimon »

#3 solved too: I can download my code to the surviving SBL2e, run and see the debug messages. A big thank you!!

#2 is still open, though: how can I recover my SBL2e that I sent bad IP settings to?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Do you have serial communication with that SBL2e? You can do it through the boot monitor serial interface, use an 'A' to abort the application boot.

Or, you might be able to change your pc's network settings. What settings did you set the SBL2e to?
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

After you can 'A' to abort the
setup

command will let you change IP settings.

Paul
bsimon

Post by bsimon »

Hi again!
All 5 units working now. I even have now a rudimentary app that is performing the TCP / I2C conversion.

Thank you very much for your support!!