Converting to v3.x tools

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
SeeCwriter

Converting to v3.x tools

Post by SeeCwriter »

I have a NANO that has v1.00 of the Alternate Boot Monitor, with Rev1.4 stamped on the board. I tried to convert it to use v3.x tools by loading NANO54415-3p0-Update_APP.s19. The boot monitor still reports v1.0 . Is this module too old to use v3.x?
TomNB

Re: Converting to v3.x tools

Post by TomNB »

Not at all. The boot monitor is a recovery mechanism, so it should not be needed in normal operation. The download of the NANO54415-3p0-Update_APP.s19 is the easy way to make it 3.x compatible, and that is the normal course for an upgrade to 3.x

That said, if you want the monitor to be able to accept a 3.x download we can help you with that as well. You 1.0 revision of the monitor indicates your nano is of the 2012 vintage, so about 8-9 years old. Currently shipping NANO and MOD5441x devices have a monitor that can process both 2.x and 3.x updates without the intermediate step of the NANO54415-3p0-Update_APP.s19. If you find yourself in the monitor often due to crashing during development it may be worthwhile. If you contact netburner support they can give you update instructions and files. But it isn't necessary if you don't routinely find yourself in the monitor.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

One other note. Other than configuring the flash and DDR memory, control is passed to your application and the monitor has no interaction.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

Thanks. That was very helpful. I thought part of the upgrade process was upgrading the boot monitor. It's fairly rare for us to be in the Alternate boot monitor, so no need to upgrade it if it's not necessary. I just grabbed an old module off the bone pile to play with. The actual product will have the latest module.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

After the conversion to 3.x should I be able to see the module with discover.netburner.com? I don't. I loaded an 2.9.5 app and its runs normally. Do I need to load a 3.x built app before it's seen?
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

Try building /loading something like the nburn\example\Web\SimpleHtml

If you can't see it via discover.netburner.com...
Try ipsetup it should show up as "newconfig"
Or run localdiscover from the command line.

I don't remember if the loading shim for converting to 3.0 does Discover.Netburner.com.
(It should) I'll test in the morning and let you know.
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

If you find the ipaddess via any of these methods...
go to the webpage...

ip:20034

ie
http:\\10.1.1.123:20034
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

Only 3.x apps will be visible at discover.netburner.com.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I'm back on getting this old NANO to run a v3.x app. I loaded the NANO54415-3p0-Update_APP.s19 file via the serial port with MTTTY. When it boots I get the normal "Waiting 2sec to Start...". If I do nothing, it does nothing. That's probably normal since there is no application loaded. After more that 2 seconds, hitting 'A' does nothing. Again, probably normal. So I reboot, hit 'A' and it goes to the Alternate Monitor, v1.00. The discovery webpage now sees the board. Using MTTTY, I load v3.3.3 example program executable file HtmlFormPost.s19 (there is no _APP.s19 file). After downloading I get messages "REturned without programming", "Download failed".
Is this board too old or did I do something wrong?

I should add, I can load a v2.x app at this point and it runs as expected. But the discovery webpage no longer sees the board.

Update: Let me add more confusion to this. I found 2 other NANOs, both stamped REV 1.5 on the board. One has v1.00 monitor, the other has v1.05, dated July 2020. According to the documentation, NANOs with v1.05 and above are compatible with v3.x tools. But the docs also say that the board must have been built after April of 2021. Since the board with v1.05 monitor was taken out of a brand new unit in production, I believe it was purchased after April of 2021. Though I suppose it could be old stock from where ever we bought it. Is there a way to determine this. Neither board is seen by the discovery webpage.

Update 2: Got a new NANO from stock. It too is stamped REV 1.5 and has v1.05 monitor. Loaded NANO54415-3p0-Update_APP.s19. Now it's seen by the discovery webpage. Using MTTTY, I load HtmlFormPost example. Programming fails with the same messages. Tried using Eclipse to do the programming. It too fails. But I don't understand the error message it's giving. It seems to want to load test.bin. Don't know where that came from.

C:/nburn/pcbin/nbupdate test.bin
2021/10/05 08:41:20 No target host given
make: *** [../makefile.targets:20: load-nbimage] Error 1
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I agree, lots of confusion here. For reference, here is the link to the docs that describe the procedure:
https://www.netburner.com/NBDocs/Develo ... 5441x.html

Alternate Monitor Notes:
1. In general, you should not be in the alternate monitor unless you are trying to recover from a bad download or configuration, and load a valid application. The Alternate Monitor is a small recovery program. You will not be able to see your device on discover.netburner.com if you are in the monitor.
2. NANO Revisions prior to 1.05 can only download 2.x applications
3. NANO revisions of 1.05 or later can download 2.x or 3.x applications
4. Because the NANO, MOD5441x and SB800EX Alternate Monitors pre-date the 3.x tools, any configuration changes need to use IPSetup.

Lets take your first unit with Alternate Monitor 1.0 (and this applies to any revision before 1.05). It sounds like you did that correctly, except you should be loading a .bin file, not a .s19 file. Do you have a HTMLFormPost.bin you can use? In 3.x .bin files should always be used except for special circumstances. If you have such a circumstance please open a support ticket as I am not familiar with that. No 2.x apps can be seen on discover.netburner.com.

For the two other NANOs, the stamp on the board is the h/w revision, which is 1.5. The monitor revision is something different. I know they are close, which can be confusing here.
- The one with Alt Mon 1.00 must fist use the 3p0 Update app, then you can load 3.x .bin files
- The one with Alt Mon 1.05 can do either: load the 3p0 Update app, or abort to the Alt Mon and load a 3.x .bin file.

Let me know if switching to a .bin file works, and the .s19 in 3.x will need to be addressed separately.