MOD5213 Serial Update

Discussion to talk about hardware related topics only.
joepasquariello

MOD5213 Serial Update

Post by joepasquariello »

It's been a long time since I used the SerialLoad application, and I'm having some trouble. I have a 5213 application that calls EnableSerialUpdate(). I can update the software using MTTTY with file transfer. When I use SerialLoad to do an update, it seems to work fine, with the progress bar moving along as expected, and SerialLoad reports success, but the board does not reboot. If I then close SerialLoad, re-connect with MTTTY, and press the reset button, the board does not have a valid application. I'm sending the same file with SerialLoad that I'm sending with MTTTY.

Can anyone help me understand why SerialLoad is not working?

Joe
Vernon

Re: MOD5213 Serial Update

Post by Vernon »

joepasquariello wrote:It's been a long time since I used the SerialLoad application, and I'm having some trouble. I have a 5213 application that calls EnableSerialUpdate(). I can update the software using MTTTY with file transfer. When I use SerialLoad to do an update, it seems to work fine, with the progress bar moving along as expected, and SerialLoad reports success, but the board does not reboot. If I then close SerialLoad, re-connect with MTTTY, and press the reset button, the board does not have a valid application. I'm sending the same file with SerialLoad that I'm sending with MTTTY.

Can anyone help me understand why SerialLoad is not working?

Joe
I don't know why but, if it helps, you are not alone. I had the same problem and now use Tera Term VT to flash the MOD5213 and not the serial update feature in the IDE.
joepasquariello

Thank you, Vernon. I downloaded teraterm-4.93, and I agree it works very well for transfer of the S19 text file, and seems a bit faster and smoother than MTTTY. What I'm having trouble with is not MTTTY, but the SerialLoad program, which converts the S19 file to a binary image before sending, so it's much faster.

Joe
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

If you are using a usb to serial converter it may be a flow control issue. Serial terminals are better at handling RTS/CTS.
joepasquariello

Yes, I'm using a USB/serial converter. I have no trouble updating by sending the S19 text file with MTTTY or TeraTerm. What's not working is SerialLoad, using the same file, at the same baud rate 115200, on the same USB/serial converter, to the same 5213 board. I don't know whether SerialLoad does any handshaking or not. Is SerialLoad unreliable at 115200?

Joe
pbreed

Post by pbreed »

Are you really using serial load or your own code attempting to get in serial load mode?

I believe you have an open suppor tticket.... on this...

Serialload DOES not send S19 it sends binary....
joepasquariello

Hi Paul,

My ticket was about SerialLoad. It reports success, but does not successfully reprogram the MOD5213. I added a couple of comments to it today, but since I didn't hear back, I decided to post it to the forum.

This question is about my attempts to program the 5213 from within our own Windows application. I' have the program sending all of the S records, and I know the complete application is being written to the 5213 flash (because it boots after a reset), but for some reason, again, the application does not reboot automatically after the last (S7) record is sent. Can you explain what triggers the monitor to reboot after writing the last bytes of the application to flash?

My goal is to be able to both send S records (like MTTTY send file) and binary data (like SerialLoad) from within our application.

Joe