PINK HTTPS

Community forum for discussion and support of the PINK product and development kit
Mike2545

PINK HTTPS

Post by Mike2545 »

Any chance to upgrade the firmware to be able to allow a secure connection to the PINK? Would love to get the Amazon Alexa to interface with it.
TomNB

Re: PINK HTTPS

Post by TomNB »

We do not have anything currently in place for that. Is there a specification for Alexa to communicate with devices though HTTPS? Exactly what protocol/functionality would you need to implement? Do you need to manage certificates?
Mike2545

Post by Mike2545 »

Tom, I am still trying to sort some of that out. There is IFTTT (If This Then That), which supports Alexa spoken word to do what I am attempting. This guy http://www.theghostbit.com/2015/06/cont ... ifttt.html is on to the right track, as far as the certificate, https://www.cheapsslshop.com/domain-val ... rtificates has a year for less than $10 USD
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello Mike,

It is certainly possible to do. Adding HTTPS would not be too difficult, but adding the user interface and file system to handle certificates would be more work than we have time for with our current schedule. Our standard application for serial to Ethernet does do all these things, and it is something that can be loaded on the board instead of the PINK application. Would that work for you?

Another alternative is that if you know how to write embedded software, you could use the development kit to modify the PINK application or write any other type of application you wish.
Mike2545

Post by Mike2545 »

Hey Tom, thanks for the response. I don't think I have the skills at this time to write my own embedded software. We were just looking at how to get the Alexa to integrate with the PINK. We use Insteon isy and are looking at http://forum.universal-devices.com/topi ... sion-v073/
Just looking for leads on how to do this.

edit, I should say, Alexa can alter variables in the Insteon Hub and the link above might work to shuttle data between the PINK and Alexa

Mike
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

The ISY is a pretty amazing device. I'm sure it supports the security you need, but not sure it is a no-effort port. What features of the PINK do you need?
Mike2545

Post by Mike2545 »

I have a pretty extensive HVAC automation system running on the PINK. Shown in part here: http://forum.embeddedethernet.com/viewt ... f=8&t=2344
I would like to get and set room temperatures/humidity (NB_varxx values) with Alexa. Possibly through the PINK itself or another port like ISY.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hi Mike,

Attached is the PINK app that supports HTTP and HTTPS. I tested it with chrome. The cert needs to match your name or ip address, so you may need to click on the advanced tab in the browser and allow permission to load the page. Hopefully that gets you what you need. Any updates on the project would be greatly appreciated. It sounds very interesting.
Attachments
PINK_HTTPS_APP.zip
(388.56 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Mike2545

Post by Mike2545 »

Tom, thank you for the file, I ran into obstacles with the ssl certificate and went a different way.

I can get Amazon Alexa to change a Nb_Varxx in the PINK by using the ISY Network Resources tab. If you are interested I can outline how I did it.

Thanks a bunch

Mike 2545
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Thanks Mike, yes, I am very interested in anything you come up with. Sounds like a great app.