logging data

Community forum for discussion and support of the PINK product and development kit
Ralph

logging data

Post by Ralph »

I have a PINK module connected to a Basic Stamp that is monitoring the on/off states of several switches. I'd like to log this data, ultimately to a mySQL database, but a text file would be great for a start. I have a web page up that displays my data, and I can access the variables via telnet, but I don't know the best route to capturing what I am monitoring into a file. Any sugggestions?
rnixon

Re: logging data

Post by rnixon »

Can your basic stamp create and store a text file? You could then make a web page that displays that text file.
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The basic stamp can write to a text file on a memory chip or usb thumb drive at the basic stamp, but that doesn't get me what I need. My basic stamp and Pink are remote from my office computer in a greenhouse 300 feet from my office. I monitor the stamp/pink via my ethernet network, Cat 5e cable in conduit underground to in my office. The goal is to log the data where I am monitoring the data, not at the source location. I can see the data on the web page and in the telnet window in my office, so it seems like I should be able to capture the data if I can see it. My network attached storage server is in my office and has several mySQL databases that I use with phpMyAdmin and a php capable web server that I use for customer, vendor, and other business data via the internet. In the greenhouse I am monitoring 14 digital data points every 15 seconds so that I can see anomolies in the burner performance in my greenhouse heating system. This means I need to collect, and ultimately manipulate a lot of data to see what I need to see over time. I need to be able to view the logged data in my office so I can look at trends and not just the instantaneous data shown on the web page served by the PINK. In the past, I have logged to an excel file by connecting to the programming connection on the basic stamp prototype board and using PLX DAQ Data Acquisition For Excel. This worked ok, I was able to verify the trends, but I had to leave a computer in the greenhouse which is simply not a log term solution given moisture and temperature variations. I don't mind learning eclipse and developing a custom solution if that's the way to go. If the PINK (or another netburner product) could be programmed to access my storage server and mySQL database over my network to write the data directly that would be ideal. Thanks.
rhopf1

Post by rhopf1 »

You can "see" the data with Telnet? Just write a simple socket connection to your data logger and quit mucking around with web pages and pink.
Miki88

Post by Miki88 »

To prevent Cumulus adding "its own" data to the log file, you could close it down as soon as the download is complete. Then, if you then want to run Cumulus continuously, you can overwrite any subsequent logs with the "backup" data file.