Application Notes and Design Ideas - REQUESTS

Post your example source code and application notes to share with others
Forrest

Application Notes and Design Ideas - REQUESTS

Post by Forrest »

If you have any ideas for an application note, would like something explained in further detail or code, or just want to know if anyone else is using X part, please post requests here
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn
Teresabee

Re: Application Notes and Design Ideas - REQUESTS

Post by Teresabee »

I am attempting to work through the demo program in the FPGA Blade Board Manual and am stuck at section 2.4.1
I created a project in NBEclipse and dragged the bit file into the project. The automatic conversion of the bit file to a cpp file is not happening.
From the second paragraph there are no options for promgen or compfile under Properties > C/C++ Build > Settings.
I feel that there might be something missing from the manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
amaier17

Post by amaier17 »

Are there any application note resources for using the Pulse Width Modulation?
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

There are, what platform are you looking for?
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
Lachlanp

Developing charts

Post by Lachlanp »

One of the advantages of Netburner is its ability to interface with embedded systems so that sensor data can be displayed on the web. A lot of this sensor data is best displayed in charts. I have looked into developing charts using JQUERY and using 'FLOTCHARTS' and 'HIGHCHARTS'.

These charting program's import data in JSON format using AJAX. However, this is not as straightforward as it seems. To import data in this format requires the data to be in time/data pairs. If there is more than one sensor , then multiple series are required. Therefore, unless there is only one sensor per file, appending data to the file every minute of so becomes a laboured affair, as data cannot be added to the end, it must be added at multiple points in the middle of a file. Alternatively, having one data file per sensor is also long winded.

A design note that covered the periodic saving of multi-sensor data into a data file and then allowing a web page to read the data file to produce a multi sensor graph over time, would be a great help, especially if it can be devised to prevent rewriting and erasing files, or having one data file per sensor. Also, as JSON data format requires time to be in milliseconds, it would be good to be able to have time saved in seconds, as that would make it much easier to read the data file as data when the JQUERY charts are not used.

Regards
Lachlan
tod

Post by tod »

I would recommend you think about separating the presentation layer from the data layer when you store the data. Store the data in an efficient format that makes sense for your application on the NB. If you take multiple sensors and they all start at the same time and take data at a predictable increment I would save the raw data in one place and store the "meta" time data in another. Then if on the web page you use a charting tool that wants a JSON pair like {"data":12.5, "time":1.15} you could take two approaches. You can have the AJAX responder create this JSON data for you on the fly and send it to the web server. Alternately (and I think probably better) you just send up the raw data and meta time data in your own JSON format and then use JavaScript on the browser to create the JSON data the charting tool wants. In terms of the MVVM design pattern, you keep the NetBurner code as the Model, The web client implements both the Model View and and the View. I prefer to let the PC do the heavy lifting whenever possible it tends to have way more memory and a much more capable CPU.
Lachlanp

Post by Lachlanp »

What you say sounds sensible and, yes, your second suggestions sounds the preferred path. I know very little about Jquery and the ability to format data within the web page. Can you suggest some text or references? The netburner platform has been great to bridge the gap between the embedded systems and the web, but developing charts and programming within web pages is new to me.

I suppose this is not the best place to discus the much further so I can open a threat in another part of the forum and discuss it further if you have the inclination. If I can understand how to reformat raw data into something that is understandable by the charting program's, then that would be great.

Regards
Lachlan
amaier17

Post by amaier17 »

dciliske wrote:There are, what platform are you looking for?
I am looking for the MOD54415 platform.

Thanks!
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

In 2.62 there's the MOD54415-PWM example that shows how to use the PWM module.

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
krastatter

Post by krastatter »

Product Change Notice PCN 001 regarding the MOD5441X states that "The processor core can be slowed from 250MHz to 150MHz, which enables the processor PLL to
divide evenly into 60MHz." Is there an application note listing the hardware and header file modifications that accomplish this?