MTTTY High CPU Usage

for everything else
joepasquariello

MTTTY High CPU Usage

Post by joepasquariello »

I'm using MTTTY on Windows 7 to program a MOD5213. MTTTY is rather non-responsive, using about 25% of the CPU once I connect to a USB serial port, and it crashes when I press Disconnect. Programming of the MOD5213 is unreliable due to these problems. I have the NB USB driver installed. Am I forgetting something?

Joe
rnixon

Re: MTTTY High CPU Usage

Post by rnixon »

Are you programming the module in the development board? That is the only time the netburner usb driver would be used. If you have a usb dongle that you purchased and put on your computer it will use it's own manufacturers usb driver. It is in that driver that the problem will exist. You may want to try a different one, or as a test, trt some other serial terminal than mttty and see if the results are different.
joepasquariello

Re: MTTTY High CPU Usage

Post by joepasquariello »

No, I am programming a module on a custom board, and the USB/serial converter is plugged into a USB port of my laptop. Thanks for the clarification on the NB USB/Serial driver being for use with the device on the development boards.

My problem turned out to be a very old USB/serial converter that, even with the latest (Prolific) drivers, is somehow incompatible with Windows 7-64 and MTTTY. I switched to a newer USB/serial converter with FTDI chip, and MTTTY works fine, with less than 1% CPU while transferring a file to the MOD5213. It's odd that my own application, communicating with the same MOD5213 via the same USB/serial converter, had no problem with the older converter, though at lower baud rate.