Introduction to Qt: A C++ Cross Platform Framework

for everything else
tod

Introduction to Qt: A C++ Cross Platform Framework

Post by tod »

I just finished my latest course Introduction to Qt: A C++ Cross Platform Application Framework, for Pluralsight and it should go live on a internet near you in May 2014. Since a lot of folks here have invested time in learning C++ I thought you might be interested in leveraging that knowledge beyond the NetBurner. I created a 90 second trailer that should give you a small flavor of what Qt and the course can do for you.
dciliske

Re: Introduction to Qt: A C++ Cross Platform Framework

Post by dciliske »

Oh... I'm interested. We've been talking about Qt for quite some time at Netburner, we just haven't found how to build an application without requiring that it carries around with it ~15 MB of .dlls to run. Any chance this'll cover static linking/standalone executables (I know about the license stuff)?
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc
tod

Post by tod »

Sorry no. Here's an article I looked at (but didn't try) on the topic. It's for Qt4 not Qt5, but I would think it's still relevant.

I just figured most of my audience wouldn't be interested in static linking given the licensing issue.
dciliske

Post by dciliske »

Yea, I figured this was probably left out. That said, to my understanding of the LGPL license, static linking is not by necessity a copy left operation. It's just incredibly hard to make it not so.

I believe that as long as all the LGPLed source that is used is included, along with a build script, you can distribute the closed source as object files and still comply. I may be wrong, but I haven't had anyone tell me I'm wrong yet.
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc