General question about porting 5234 to Nano

for everything else
Heliotopos

General question about porting 5234 to Nano

Post by Heliotopos »

Hello, I'm new here. I've been doing maintenance on a codebase built around the 5234 for a few months now, and it's my first experience with embedded development. The original developer is no longer involved.

Today the question came up about the level of effort involved in porting this code to the Nano. I'm assuming all the I/O code at the very least would need changing, but what about things that wouldn't seem to be hardware-specific, like the web server? Sorry if this is too broad a question, but can anyone give me any general advice or information on what I'd be getting into?

Thanks
pbreed

Re: General question about porting 5234 to Nano

Post by pbreed »

The answer could be vary from really simple to really hard depending on the details...

If your I/O is just serial ports and the webserver the port would be a simple recompile with almost no work....
(IE the real work is adapting the to physical hardware differences)

If the system is a complex timing problem using a bunch of timer dirven interrupts and the TPU I/O of the 5234 it could be really hard...

Can you tell us a bit more abotu the I/O you are usign and if you have any user written interrupts?

(IE search your code for INTERRUPT or setintc)

Paul
Heliotopos

Post by Heliotopos »

Thanks for the reply.

If it helps, for I/O we're using all three UART's, UART0_RTS, two IRQ's, T0IN, T2OUT, five SPI and four eTPU. I didn't see any INTERRUPTs or setintc calls.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Sounds like you are using more than 4 eTPU functions, where did the 5 SPI pins come from?
Heliotopos

Post by Heliotopos »

My mistake - I was counting SPI_CS0 but I don't think it's actually used anymore. I believe it was at one time, but is still in the schematic with nothing on the other end. Like I said before, I'm new at this. ;)

SPI_CLK, SPI_DIN, SPI_DOUT and SPI_CS1 are in use though as far as I can tell.

Thanks
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

I'm a bit confused, so I'm not sure what to add here. But you initially said you were using the eTPU, wouldn't that alone mean you can't switch?
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Is there any way you can get a couple of hours with the original developer and get his opinion? That would seem to be the fastest route
Heliotopos

Post by Heliotopos »

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to. That's a good point about the eTPU though, I didn't realize the Nano lacks it... glad I asked.

Thanks