AutoUpdate

for everything else
henry_PIE

AutoUpdate

Post by henry_PIE »

Hello there,

I hadn't been succesful in finding more information about the AutoUpdate deployment tool; probably i didn't look in the right place.

I am trying to know whether this tool could be used to update the firmware remotely through an internet connection, not a local network. If not, (say Autoupdate would only work in a LAN) , is there any other way remote firmware update can be achieved?

I need this info because I am quite interested in the MOD54415 which would be used in a remote (in an island) datalogger application with access to internet.

Thanks for the help!
pbreed

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by pbreed »

This is really a firewall question...
IE can you talk directly to the device over the itnernet through whatever firewalls are in place...

If the answer is yes then autoupdate works.
For this to be yes you need to be able to send UDP packets on port 20034
Unfortunately the answer is most likely no....

If you can make an inbound TCP connection to the remote device using tCP and port 20034 then you can
switch to the tcpupdate tool and that will work...

If you can not make any inbound connection through the firewall on the device end (Most likely senario)
then the device on the other end has to do its own update, easiest solution is to have it periodiclly check some FTP site for a new code image and upload it if it finds one.
Look at the FTP update example...

If your firewall is open to allow inbound web requests to get to the Netburner device you can also try the http update example...
ecasey

Re: AutoUpdate

Post by ecasey »

Another approach is to VNC to a computer on the LAN at the remote location, then use NBEclipse on the local computer to do the updates.

If you are using a hub that connects through a cell tower, make sure you have a "live IP address", otherwise you won't be able to connect to anything from outside of that cell tower's range. Lots of cell services put you behind a NAT and you can't be seen from the internet.