Not creating COM port

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
SynQing_Feeling

Not creating COM port

Post by SynQing_Feeling »

I am not able to see the COM port that VirtualCommPort2.2 is meant to have created in Device Manager, nor can I connect to it with MTTTY.
The NetBurner device I am trying to use is the SBL2e. It shows up on IPSetup, and the settings page is hosted properly.
The problem seems to be with the drivers. I when I run vspdxp_install.exe as admin it apparently does nothing. When I run vbsetup.exe I get windows error 0xe0000235, which may imply the driver is 32 bit and can't run on my 64 bit system.
I tried "right-click, install"ing the INF files, which has not helped.

What can I do to resolve this? Will a different board have more chance of success?
TomNB

Re: Not creating COM port

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

The specific NetBurner device will have no effect on the installation of the vcom software, so changing hardware is not necessary. The software must have admin rights, needs to be able to install a service, and have right to run that service. If the install will not run, or you do not see it in device manager, then something with your windows system is preventing access. It is a 32-bit app, but windows 10 should have no problem running 32 and 64 bit apps. Usually none of this is an issue, but if you are in a company with IT policies it certainly could be. Also, you could try temporarily disabling antivirus and see if that makes a difference, although to my knowledge there are no conflicts I know of.