MOD54415 I2C

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
russ58

MOD54415 I2C

Post by russ58 »

In 3.3.0 there is i2c_master.h a class for I2C. There is also mutltichanneli2c.h. It looks as if all of the examples use multichanneli2c.h. Is this because the i2c_master class does not function (at this time) or is it that the examples haven't been ported?
TomNB

Re: MOD54415 I2C

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

It is a legacy issue. Previous coldfire parts had only 1 I2C peripheral, but the MCF5441x platforms have more than one. If using a MCF5441x platform, the recommend method is multichannel.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

In the v3.3.3 tools, there doesn't appear to be a multichanneli2c.h file. I need to use i2c to access an external RTC chip, yet I can find no i2c files or rtc files. There are rtc files in an i2c example app for the MODM7AE70. But none for the MOD5441X or NANO. I'm using the NANO.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

The common platform examples are located at: \nburn\examples\_common\MultiPlatform\I2C. This was done to reduce the number of source code files (so there is only 1 copy), and also to help navigate in the docs. Here is the link to the examples:

https://www.netburner.com/NBDocs/Develo ... _page.html

And platform specific:

https://www.netburner.com/NBDocs/Develo ... group.html

If you do a lot of searching the pdf version might be easier, just click on the pdf link.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

In the nburn\examples\platformspecific\nano54415 dir, there is only a FactoryApp example. In the MOD5441X dir, there are 4 examples, none about i2c or rtc. Only the MOD7AE70 has any i2c and rtc examples. But I did find i2c files (not example apps) in nburn\arch\coldfire\cpu\MCF5441X subdirs and copied them to my project. And the rtc files in examples\Multiplatform\RTC-External that I copied. Now my project compiles. Hopefully those are the right files, I don't have any hardware yet to test it.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post. The common platform examples are located at: \nburn\examples\_common\MultiPlatform\I2C. Since it is the same code for MOD5441x, NANO and SB800EX, we want just one set of files for the example so any future updates don't get missed on a specific platform. Please let me know if you are able to find the I2C example in the _common directory.
The attachment common.jpg is no longer available
The ReadMe.txt file specifies which platforms are supported. In the I2C scan example:

Code: Select all

Scan the I2C bus for devices and display their addresses.

Supported Platforms: MOD5441x, NANO54415

ScanI2CBus sends out a request on the I2C bus and waits for an ack, scanning each address
in the address space.  If a device responds, the device address is reported. 
If you look at the example folder in the docs, rather than the _common folder on your drive, it puts them in a section for multiplatform as shown below. The only examples in the platform specific nano folder would be examples that can only run on a nano and no other platform.
common.jpg
common.jpg (18.91 KiB) Viewed 1765 times
Here is a link to the section in the online docs
https://www.netburner.com/NBDocs/Develo ... group.html

Please let me know if that helps clarify things. We have a significant number of examples and are working hard to try and make them easy to locate, but also avoid missing any updates for any specific platform. Grouping the common ones is one way to ensure we don't miss a bug fix or added feature for any platform.