Compile Error Building System for v2.9.3

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
SeeCwriter

Re: Compile Error Building System for v2.9.3

Post by SeeCwriter »

I've been searching my PC and I only find make.exe files in the nburn directories. There are python, javascript, and Power Shell make files (make.py, make.sh, make.js), most in Microsoft Visual Studio directories, but some in the Atom editor sub-directories. And lots of makefile files all over the place. I thought Windows included make.exe, but I can't find one.

A few months ago while debugging some SNMP issues with the DMH Software SNMP package, I installed Cygwin64 Terminal. I've searched through all its sub-directories and find no make executable file. I also changed the name of the root directory so that there could be no path to it. It made no difference.

This is output of "c:\nburn\system\make -v" :

GNU Make 4.2.1
Built for i686-host_pc-mingw32
Copyright (C) 1988-2016 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

You mentioned 2.9.2 works. Are you using the renaming directory method? At this point, if you rename back to the 2.9.2 version, does everything work?
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I have v2.8.7, v2.9.1/2/3 installed, and yes, I use renaming to switch IDEs. And yes, when I switch back to v2.9.2 it still works. Until v2.9.3 is working and I've been able to verify that the firmware builds still work I will continue to use v2.9.2.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

That seems like the best idea. I wish we could somehow re-create the issue here. Its certainly something we want to resolve.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I removed then reinstalled v2.9.3. This time I did not include the SSL serial number in the list of components to install. Without trying to rebuild the system files first, I compiled my MOD54415 project and still get many linker errors. The errors are referencing files in a path on drive d:. There is no drive d: on my PC. I've attached the build log.
Attachments
MOD5441X_BuildLog.txt
(39.91 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Which version of snmp are you using? If v3, then it will need ssl, so you need to modify predef.h. What happens if you just make a simple app wizard application, so ssl is not needed?
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I had SSL in the first installation try and it didn't matter. For this particular project I'm trying to compile, it uses SNMPv2c.

What about the strange path in the linker output? As I said, I have no drive d:, and there is no one here named jenkins.

Lastly, when I tried to rebuild the system files, I thought I was rebuilding the v2.9.3 system. Turns out I had switched back to 2.9.2 to do some other work and I forgot. So now v2.9.2 is corrupted and no longer works. I'm now using v2.9.1.
Forrest

Post by Forrest »

The path in the output is because you are using a prebuilt library. In fact, I can tell that you are using the library that ships, since that path is from our continuous integration build machine. Paths do not really matter within prebuilt static C++ libraries. If you rebuild your libraries, the paths will come from your PC.

When you rebuild the system libraries, do you get build errors? Have you enabled SSL in predef.h?
Your compile log is telling me that you are using the prebuilt libraries, which dont enable SSL by default.

It appears that you are using NBEclipse. What I would do is
1) open c:\nburn\include\predef.h and uncomment #define NB_SSL_SUPPORTED ( 1 ).
2) Click on your project and select NBEclipse->Rebuild All System files.
3) Do a project->clean and rebuild your project.
Forrest Stanley
Project Engineer
NetBurner, Inc

NetBurner Learn Articles: http://www.netburner.com/learn
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

I didn't think what Forrest suggested would work, and I was right. I removed v2.9.3 and did a fresh install. I edited predef.h by uncommenting the SSL line. However, before rebuilding the system files, I imported the MOD5441X_FactoryApp example. But Eclipse had the Build menu item grayed-out. Was this because one of the system files was changed? Instead, I opened a command prompt and used the make file. It built without errors, but there was no _APP.s19 file created. I don't understand that.
Using Eclipse, I did a "Rebuild All System Files" and after a few seconds it failed with:

Code: Select all

m68k-elf-as -mcpu=5206e -march=isaa   ucosmcfa.s -o ucosmcfa.o
      0 [main] us 0 init_cheap: VirtualAlloc pointer is null, Win32 error 487
AllocationBase 0x0, BaseAddress 0x71110000, RegionSize 0x210000, State 0x10000
make: *** [C:\nburn/make/librules.mak:51: software_init.o] Error 1
rm ucosmcfa.o
Also, Eclipse no longer has a button to copy the console output to a file. Is that intentional?

As for uncommenting NB_SSL_SUPPORTED, I never had that uncommented in v2.9.2, and I had no problems. I even have a a couple projects that use SNMPv3 that worked just fine with that line commented out. So I don't understand an earlier mention that it is required in order to use SNMPv3.
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

Interestingly, even though rebuilding the system files failed, a new NetBurner.a file was created, and rebuilding the MOD5441X system files succeeded. But building MOD5441X_FactoryApp threw many errors. And the button to save the console output to a file is back.
Attachments
MOD5441X_FactoryApp_Buildlog.txt
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 138 times