Cannot detect the Netburner PK70 on my PCs.

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
pkingphilavanh

Cannot detect the Netburner PK70 on my PCs.

Post by pkingphilavanh »

I am having immense trouble trying to detect the Netburner PK70 with Spartan 3E FPGA Blade Board

IPSetup (2.5 and 3.0) or NB Find through NBeclipse.

I have tried both a Laptop (Windows 7) and PC (Windows 10) both have Auto MDIX enabled.

I believe the blue cable I am using is a straight forward path, not cross over if that even matters anymore.

My initial setup. I power the the Netburner PK70 with the power cable then I connect the provided Ethernet cable that came in the package (blue) to my Netburner and directly to my PCs (Laptop or Desktop).

Then I try to find the Netburner using IPSetup and NB Find, this is where I fail, absolutely nothing appears.

My attempts at a solution,

1. Turn off all Firewall, Antivirus. Done, did not correct the problem. (I kept these off permanently).
2. Open the UDP 20034 Port Inbound and Outbound, did not correct the problem.
3. Tried 3.0 IPSetup, did not correct problem.
4. Enable Auto MDIX on my PCs, did nto correct the problem.
5. Tried different straight forward Ethernets, I presume I don't have a single cross over one. Did not correct problem.
6. Instead of a DHCP server, I disabled DHCP on both the Laptop and PC, did not correct the problem. (I modify the IPV4 settings)
7. I tried connecting the Netburner (via Ethernet straight forward) to my home router instead of LAN. My router does not see the Netburner at all.

What else am I missing? Can anyone propose a solution?
TomNB

Re: Cannot detect the Netburner PK70 on my PCs.

Post by TomNB »

I have seen windows security updates block IP addresses that are not on the same subnet, which can happen if the nb device is set to DHCP server (default) and there is not a DHCP server on your network. The most robust configuration for a test would be:

1. Enable DHCP on your pc and connect to a router with a DHCP server. You mention you have a home router, do all your devices at home use DHCP to get an address? Normally routers have 4 Ethernet ports, so one for the pc and one for the nb.

2. Connect the nb device directly to your router so it can communicate with the DHCP server. Now both the pc and nb device will get an IP address on the same subnet and windows firewall should not be blocking anything.

If you connect to the DB9 serial port on the PK70 is will provide status messages on the boot process. You can also do manual IP configuration from there as well.
pkingphilavanh

Post by pkingphilavanh »

TomNB wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 am I have seen windows security updates block IP addresses that are not on the same subnet, which can happen if the nb device is set to DHCP server (default) and there is not a DHCP server on your network. The most robust configuration for a test would be:

1. Enable DHCP on your pc and connect to a router with a DHCP server. You mention you have a home router, do all your devices at home use DHCP to get an address? Normally routers have 4 Ethernet ports, so one for the pc and one for the nb.

2. Connect the nb device directly to your router so it can communicate with the DHCP server. Now both the pc and nb device will get an IP address on the same subnet and windows firewall should not be blocking anything.

If you connect to the DB9 serial port on the PK70 is will provide status messages on the boot process. You can also do manual IP configuration from there as well.
1. All my devices at home use DHCP to get an address. My Router is normally functioning with DHCP on. I have done a router + PC + netburner setup.
I have done the router + Laptop + netburner. In each setup DHCP was enabled.

2. The end result was the same, my router did not see the Netburner but it could see my PCs in each setup. When I say see, on my router page it shows the name and mac address of the clients connected to it.

https://imgur.com/a/zzSTv (This is an image of what my DHCP page on the router looks like normally).

https://imgur.com/a/4BhcP (This is an image of the devices connected to my router, one is my desktop via wire, one is my phone wifi, and the other is my wifi card in the same PC.)

I will look to find a DB9 serial to USB cable. Could you explain how to interface (the software) with the Netburner that way? Are you talking about using MTTY?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Is this a brand new PK70 out of the box?
pkingphilavanh

Post by pkingphilavanh »

TomNB wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 am Is this a brand new PK70 out of the box?
Yes, completely new. EDIT: Let me also say I have not done any physical modification to the device either. I merely did what it said in the quick start guide, connect my Ethernet, power the device, and then use IPSetup.

http://www.netburnerstore.com/embedded_ ... ex-kit.htm

The above link is the product I purchased along with the Spartan 3E FPGA board.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

This is very strange. Each unit of this type has the blade board assembled with the unit, then tested with a default factory application. I asked the question to verify an app was not loaded into the device that did not have network connectivity. If you have any way to check the console serial port that would tell us what is going on .
pkingphilavanh

Post by pkingphilavanh »

So I am using COM4 on Mtty and have not changed any settings. All I am seeing is event CTS twice in a row.

I am not sure what this means.

Edit: I have worked with a known good Netburner and figured out what I should be seeing on boot.

We have come to the conclusion that my Netburner is actually broken out of the box.

The MTTY software gives a triple lined equal sign on boot and nothing else for my Netburner. It does not respond to any commands whatsoever either.

We have swapped out power supplies, ethernet, serial db9 adapters, and db9 cables themselves to no success one by one.

Although my Netburner appears to turn on and every led status shows that it is attempting something, it clearly does not boot the factory firmware properly.