kermit

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
SeeCwriter

kermit

Post by SeeCwriter »

Does anyone know if there is a version of Kermit that can be used on the Netburner module?
SeeCwriter

Re: kermit

Post by SeeCwriter »

Columbia University put the Kermit source code into the public domain, so I downloaded C-Kermit 9.0. There are compiler switches to compile the code for various operating systems and compilers. Unfortunately, the uC/OS is not one of them.

Of the various OSs available, Unix, Linus, Solaris, DEC Alpha, OSF, OS/2, OS-9, VMS, Coherent, NEXT, HPUX, QNX, MIPS System V, IRIX, DG/UX, AIX, Apollo Aegis, Stratus VOS, MAC, AT&T System V, WinNT, does anyone have an idea of what the closest match to uC/OS might be?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

I know nothing about kermit, but when I saw you post I searched on "kermit for embedded systems" and there is also an ansii c e-kermit that seems to cover most functions. Have you looked at that? The page also talks about porting. For c-kermit I would hazard a guess at qnx.

It looks like columbia ended the project in 2011: Effective 1 July 2011, the Kermit Project at Columbia ceased to exist. Just out of curiosity, what type of project are you using it for?
SeeCwriter

Post by SeeCwriter »

Sorry about the late reply. I didn't get notified that anyone responded.

The project requires that our equipment interface to a satellite modem manufactured by iDirect. The modem uses OpenBMIP (Open BUC Modem Interface Protocol) as its communication protocol. One of the commands we are supposed to support is to transfer calibration files from the BUC (Block-Up-Converter) to the modem. The OpenBMIP spec states that file transfers must use C-Kermit 9.0.

I did not see the e-kermit page you mentioned. I will look for it.
zoanie

Post by zoanie »

Hi SeeCWriter,
I have a project to implement OpenBMIP version 9.4 on the Netburner. It looks like the requirement for kermit is still around. Did you ever find and implementation that you were able to port? Is there any way we could work out a license for your code?

Thanks,

Carlos