MOD5234 Network Connection Issue

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
tk1390

MOD5234 Network Connection Issue

Post by tk1390 »

Hi,

I recently lost network debug connection to my MOD5234. My firmware implements dynamic IP address assignment and was working well until I tried running my latest version. It seems like the device cannot be found on the network (i.e. NBFind/NBConfig/IP Setup Tool cannot find the device). Because of this issue I can't assign a static address to the device. Does any one have any suggestions to resolve this?

Additionally it looks like half of my prior serial debug messages print to the terminal but hang eventually.

Thanks!
TomNB

Re: MOD5234 Network Connection Issue

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

When your app crashes, as can happen during development, you may end up in the boot monitor. It is a very small program with only serial communication capability. To recover you can download an app via the serial port as described in the attached app note.

For MOD5441x, NANO54415 and SB800EX users, there was enough space to add network capability. so if you abort to the monitor, or just end up in the monitor, network downloads are possible. If you ended up there because your application corrupted the configuration memory, use the boot jumper procedure to load a default configuration to regain network communication.
Attachments
SerialDownload201306.pdf
(107.15 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
tk1390

Post by tk1390 »

Awesome, that worked perfectly. Thanks
tk1390

Post by tk1390 »

It seems like when the firmware tries to use the 'write' function to the console, the network connection get blown out and I have to reprogram the device through the serial port with the factory demo. Do you know what the reason for this issue is?
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

The only reason you would have to re-flash the device with an app, is if your app somehow corrupted flash. I would take a look at any interaction you have with User Parameters, Configuration Parameters, or the flash file system.
tk1390

Post by tk1390 »

One thing I have noticed is assigning a static ip address seems to cause some issues.

Taking my custom application out of the loop, I manually set the IP configuration through the MTTTY using the factory demo application. Before configuring the static address (using DHCP), the 'Link Status: UP, 100 Mb/s, Full Duplex' but after assigning the static address the demo app reports 'Link Status: Down'.

I'm guessing it's a network issue on my end and not the actual application? My custom application was previously working with the static IP and only recently started to crash.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Do the LEDs on the Ethernet jack show a link? Does it operate any different after a power cycle?
tk1390

Post by tk1390 »

Yes, LEDs do show up and the initial power state is deterministic.

It may be an issue with my environment. I tried loading a different older project (known to be functioning) that I used before to test somethings and project is now behaving in a similar fashion now (IP cannot be found after loading the firmware).

To test this I've also tried loading a test app that only configures the network debugger and serial ports and it also has issues with the IP.
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

I am attaching the factory image if you would like to load it on the device for comparison.
Attachments
MOD5234-FactoryDemo.zip
(214.14 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
tk1390

Post by tk1390 »

This is the same factory demo I am using to clear out the device through the serial port to re-enable the network connection, both your version and the version and the one in my nburn folder works when loading through MTTTY. I think my problem is launching through eclipse, I'm just not sure what happened to my configuration.

To test this, I created a clean project in a new repository. I used the netburner project wizard to set up a new project with network debugging, etc. all enabled and ran the generated main file. The application was loaded correctly but after loading the device was no longer present when scanned using the find. I've attached the project as is.

Is there some sort of cached configuration in eclipse which could be causing this issue? It was working correctly for weeks and I'm not quite sure what happened. Thanks again.
Attachments
TEST.zip
Test project
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 206 times