MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
Post Reply
rlupish
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 am

MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Post by rlupish » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:45 am

Hi -

Not quite '"bricked", but *somehow* I've managed to wipe out my MOD54417 notion of what it is :shock: , as shown from AutoUpdate when I try to download a new version of the app I'm working on:
NetBurner Device Platform..JPG
Snip of AutoUpdate Error Window
NetBurner Device Platform..JPG (23.49 KiB) Viewed 3858 times
If I use the "magic" jumper, AutoUpdate will see it just fine as "[MOD5441X]" :) , and I can download and run the program after rebooting without the jumper (although it hasn't recovered its Device platform information - the display still shows garbage - so I have to jumper and hard reset it to re-program it every time now :o :x

Is there any easy way of resetting this information? :?:

Thanks!

Ron

rnixon
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm

Re: MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Post by rnixon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:41 pm

I believe that get compiled in as part of your app, so you may have a memory corruption problem. Try building and loading one of the example programs with no modifications, and see if the problem persists.

rlupish
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:15 am

Re: MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Post by rlupish » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:19 am

Thanks rnixon for your reply.

It does appear that I've managed to clobber the module's device ID - looking for it with IPSetup or AutoUpdate shows the 54417 module with the correct IP addresses, but with garbage (or no) characters in the device ID field for the module.

What I need is a way to restore the device ID in the application area of the module. The device ID, BTW, in the Alternate Boot Monitor is fine: "MOD5441X", which shows up as expected via IPSetup or AutoUpdate finding the module in ABM mode.

Ron

sulliwk06
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am

Re: MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Post by sulliwk06 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 am

Browsing through the library it looks like you may have overwritten the PlatformName somewhere in your code.

Code: Select all

const char * PlatformName = "MOD5441X";
You might try looking around what code you changed just before this started happening, looking for some kind of buffer overflow perhaps.

User avatar
dciliske
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:37 am
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: MOD54417 "Device Platform" information lost

Post by dciliske » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:55 pm

Open up the _APP.s19 you want to load with a text editor. Remove the first line and save. Load that with autoupdate. It's up to Autoupdate to verify the image and target share the same platform.

Basically, every _APP.s19 generated by compcode will embed the platform it's for at the start of the file. I believe that once upon a time this was not the case, so Autoupdate needed to be able to handle files without the platform during the transition period. Now it turns out to be a useful "feature" in situations like yours...

-Dan
Dan Ciliske
Project Engineer
Netburner, Inc

Post Reply