PPP issue still not fixed

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
v8dave

PPP issue still not fixed

Post by v8dave »

I just update to 2.6 and I see that the issue with PPP still has not been fixed.

These 2 lines in the #define's at the top of the ppp.cpp file are wrong. I reported this about 2+ years ago now. They should be in HEX, not decimal.

#define IPCP_OPT_DNS (81)
#define IPCP_OPT_DNS2 (83)

Either no one is using it or they just fixed it themselves.

I also see that DNS is not handled correctly.

I am going to send AGAIN my modified PPP file as it works. I tried this version just to be sure and it won't connect.

Dave...
davel

Re: PPP issue still not fixed

Post by davel »

Hello Dave,

Tried to send you a message a little while ago but it seems to have gone astray. May I ask you advice? I'm in Shanghai just now integrating a Chinese modem into a product. It uses PPP. Checking the forum I see you have also done work using the PPP capabilities of the Netburner modules.

A number of years ago Larry was helpful in resolving issues I was having with PPP for the Sony Ericsson GM29 modem (2006) and the Japanese UM-01KO modem (2009).

May I ask you your opinion of the state of affairs of PPP now? Are there any changes to PPP.CPP or another module you recommend that are not in the current release?

Thank you very much for your time, all the best.

Kind regards
David
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Hi David

I regret that I have not used any Netburner devices since 2014 since switching to Android based boards so I have not seen the current release.

The only thing I recall was the magic number parsing caused my connection to fail. I would assume Netburner have fixed all issues with PPP since then?

Hope you can get it working. Sorry I am unable to offer any additional help.

Regards
Dave...
davel

Post by davel »

Hi Dave,

Your suggestion re the magic number was a lifesaver. After setting options.UseMagicNumber = TRUE a PPP session could be established. I cannot seem to find any mention in the NNDK documentation about it though.

Using the latest release NNDK 2.7.7 with UseMagicNumber set and PPP established I could get UDP traffic but no TCP traffic. However going back to NNDK 2.5.2 and UseMagicNumber set I can get PPP and traffic for both UDP and TCP.

By the way I initially upgraded my project to the latest release with IPv6 NNDK 2.8.6 also no TCP traffic. I was advised by tech_5405 at Netburner to use connectvia() rather than connect() for establishing a TCP socket but this proved ineffective.

So it looks like TCP comms under PPP might have been broken at some point between NNDK 2.5.2 and 2.7.7.

My profound thanks for your lifesaving suggestion, please allow me to buy you a drink when next you visit Tasmania.

Kind regards
David
v8dave

Post by v8dave »

Glad to hear you have something working.

If this is broken, then it's on Netburner's account to fix this. Have you tried to enable the DEBUG output and see what is happening when you try to make a TCP connection? It might actually be in the TCP itself.

In fact, does Ethernet with TCP work with your same code?

PS.. The closest I will be to Tasmania is my trip to Bathurst in Oct :)