Any documentation about the Virtual COMM port driver?

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
sb70koll

Any documentation about the Virtual COMM port driver?

Post by sb70koll »

Hi,

I've downloaded the virtual comm port driver for using with my SB70 board (Rev1.3) and firmware "SB70 Serial Burner V1.1. Sept 2008 OS:2.0".

However after installing the driver I don't see any documentation about the usage.

Is documentation available?
Kind regards, sb70koll
Simplicity is my middle name - Danny Glover - Predator II
rnixon

Re: Any documentation about the Virtual COMM port driver?

Post by rnixon »

When I run the program there's a button for adding a com port. Have you tried that?
sb70koll

Post by sb70koll »

Hi rnixon,

I don't see any programs listed in the programs list.

There were no programs installed when I ran the installer but I do see some EXE's when I go to C:\Nburn\VComm map.

sec_service.exe; VirtualSerialPorts.exe; vsbsetup.exe; vdpdxp_install.exe
Kind regards, sb70koll
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Hi,

In my install there is a program called VirtualSerialPorts.exe in the \nburn\vcomm folder. You need to install the virtual comm port s/w, it doesn't automatically install with the tools, which I think is good. I don't want more drivers in windows than I have to.
sb70koll

Post by sb70koll »

Hi,

I downloaded the version for Windows 7 - 64-bit from the Netburner site. I unzipped nndkvcomm.exe. In the created nndkvcomm folder I ran the NNDKVComm.exe with elevated rights. This created the folder C:\Nburn\VComm and installed the driver software. When I run VirtualSerialPorts.exe in this folder and create a virtual com port it produces a message "Not properly installed can not stop service" and no virtual port is created.

The SB70 is active and running and has an ip address and I can select it from the list.

It must not be so difficult to install a virtual port, I've done it more than once on my old Windows XP computer. That is the reason I asked if there is some documentation about this particular piece of software.

I chose the 64-bit version because of my running Windows 7 64-bit version and haven't tried the 32-bit version.
Kind regards, sb70koll
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

I am running win 7 64-bit too, and also have it running on windows 8, it worked both times. My accounts are admin. Could there be something going on with permissions? I don't think regular docs would handle a failure case like this.
sb70koll

Post by sb70koll »

Hmmm, checked my account, is administrator. All stuff I install and run is done in elevated Administration mode. I have only one account and that has admin rights, strange.
Kind regards, sb70koll
sb70koll

Post by sb70koll »

sb70koll wrote:Hmmm, checked my account, is administrator. All stuff I install and run is done in elevated Administration mode. I have only one account and that has admin rights, strange.
My old SDK didn't survive the timetravel to win 7 64 bit. I installed the SDK on my old XP machine again. I will install the virtual comm driver on this relic. I think this is a better match for the two. I couldn't find my sb70 device in the IDE either. Now I can see it.
Kind regards, sb70koll
jmayes

Post by jmayes »

I am having trouble using the VCD, I can get a comm port to install using VirtualSerialPorts.exe, it finds the SBL2e fine and the comm port shows up in the device manager. However when I open a terminal program and access the comport, no data passes to the SBL2e, all data goes into a black hole. I have the RX & TX tied togeter at the SBL2e for loopback and when I use telnet can see my typed char's returning just fine but nothing via the comport driver. With no docs I have no idea what to do next to trouble shoot. Any help would be appreciated. I have tried both WinXP and 32bit Win7, both with the same results.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

When you created the virtual port, what IP address and port number did you use?

Are those numbers different from what you used in telnet?

Did you close your telnet session before trying the vcom? There can be only one tcp connection at a time.