Any documentation about the Virtual COMM port driver?

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
jmayes

Re: Any documentation about the Virtual COMM port driver?

Post by jmayes »

The ip address is confirmed but there is no place in vcom to check (or change) the port (that I can find). I have the sl2e on the default 23 (1000 for outgoing).

I figured out it only allowed for one socket and have even rebooted the computer and device completely with the same results.

Thankx for your help!
Jeff
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Jeff, that seems very strange. When I run the vcom .exe it lists all my ports. If I click on one, I can then click on the "edit" button to change whatever I want. Are you sure you are running the netburner .exe file? Your description makes it sound completely different from what I see when I run it.
jmayes

Post by jmayes »

Hi, that was the tip I needed. I did not realize there was an edit button in the vcom exe (VirtualSErialPorts.exe). I was looking in the property page of the new comm port in device mgr which has nothing. The default port that vcom picked was 1000, when I changed it to 23 everything worked perfect. I don't understand what the outgoing port 1000 is about (yet) but now I at least know the system is basically done over telnet which make it very simple. If the powers to be are reading this please publish some docs!

Thankx again for the help!!
Jeff
jmayes

Post by jmayes »

I am still having some trouble getting the vcomm service to install on some of my computers. I run the setup, it extracts the proper version to a folder 'C:\nburn\VComm'. At this point I try running 'VirtualSErialPorts.exe' and it says it 'Can't stop the service', I check and the service has not been installed by the setup program. I click on the other exe's but other then a brief black screen window apearing nothing seems to happen. What exactly is the procedure to get the service to install?

Thankx again for the help,
Jmayes
aceindy

Post by aceindy »

Hello,

When setting up the server on a real com-port, it states COM1:Real 9600,N,8,1

However, the client connects on 38400,N,8,1 and server fails to copy these values.

Where can I manually set the baud rate ??
TomNB

Post by TomNB »

Hello,

I am not sure I understand the first part of your question. The virtual comm port driver should never be used with a real hardware comm port number.

Lets take the case in which you create a virtual comm port that really is virtual, and not a h/w comm port. Lets say it is comm9. You then set the baud rate in your pc application, and then set the baud rate in your netburner device separately. The virtual comm port driver does not have the ability to set the baud rate in either your pc's application nor the netburner device. You do not mention what you are using, but if it is a netburner factory serial app, then you would do it through the web page. If doing your own application you could add whatever other methods that would be appropriate for your application.
aceindy

Post by aceindy »

About the first part, why not ( and why does it have the option "Create as virtual portI" then? )

What I did: I set up a server on tcp:50509 connected to a real com1 on computer A

I create a client using virtual com4:50509 on computer B

When I connect my application on computer B to virtual com4, I see the settings change to 38400,N,8,1 as requested by my application.

However, the server on computer A remains stuck on 9600,N,8,1

Unfortunately, the baud-rate on my serial device is fixed at 38400 and cannot be changed.

So my question is, how can I assure the server vor real com1 port will be using 38400,N,8,1 ??
Last edited by aceindy on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aceindy

Post by aceindy »

I just checked the original Serial driver from Eltima, and it seems NetBurner lacks some functionality:

But..it seems Netburner uses the same Eltima drivers so when I configure COM1 with Eltima's software, Netburner seems to cope quite well with it

Maybe Netburner's next version can incoporate serial line settings?
Last edited by aceindy on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Just out of curiosity, why would you use a virtual comm port driver interface to configure a real comm port (that is not virtual)? I wasn't aware that vcomm drivers could even do this.
aceindy

Post by aceindy »

Computer A has a serial device connected to a real com port 1
Computer B runs application that uses a virtual com port 4
Serial data is exchanged over LAN
So A-com1(server) <-> TCP <-> B-com4(client)

Works like a charm now that my baudrate is correct :D