NNDK refuses to "see" SB70

Discussion to talk about software related topics only.
pkmeola

NNDK refuses to "see" SB70

Post by pkmeola »

Hi,

I noticed that the NNDK does not recognize an SB70 board on the same local network if that whole network is isolated from the internet. This is not a LAN behind a firewall, it's a LAN that's not connected physically at all. I moved my development machine out to a customer site and the NNDK won't connect to the SB70 on the same LAN as my development machine because NNDK wants to "phone home". Is the any way I can stop this behavior in the NNDK? Or can I give NNDK some file or make configuration change to NNDK so that I can continue my work without having it phone home?

Thanks for your consideration,
Paul
rnixon

Re: NNDK refuses to "see" SB70

Post by rnixon »

Hi Paul,

I have no idea what "phone home" means. Can you be more specific? Did you try ipsetup?
Ridgeglider

Post by Ridgeglider »

Paul: are the NB board's ip & mask set appropriately for the network at the customer site? This setup could be quite different than what you use at you office. Further your office settings could conflict if plunked into the middle of another site. Is your laptop on the same subnet as the NB? How does your laptop get an IP? How about the NB board: static or via DHCP? Once again, are they on the same subnet? You mentioned the network is isolated. If either NB module or laptop are set to DHCP, is there something like a router serving up addresses? If not, forget DHCP!

If you haven't disabled it in the monitor, or removed functions that are often part of the UserMain template, the NB module's IP configuration info is usually output to Com0 at boot. You should also be able to use IpSetup to search for modules. The NBFind view from within Eclipse also works to see NB modules on the local network. Once you see a module, you can use IpSetup to change IP settings to be compatible with your laptop. There should only be ONE instance of IpSetup running. If all else fails, use the crossover cable (mine was red) originally supplied with the kit and boot NB and laptop at static (but different) IPs on the same subnet of the simplest, two node network.
pkmeola

Post by pkmeola »

Good morning rnixon and Ridgeglider,

I know better than to write up a bug report when I'm frustrated, and in this case I was glad to see both your postings were not ungracious. I spent time at the customer site yesterday qualifying and characterizing what I saw. Ridgeglider, I was encouraged to see this morning your advice on checking the network settings.

While I was checking the network mask, DHCP, and other settings I found that javaw.exe on the development platform chats back and forth with the SB70 and NNDK. Whatever it was that prevented this connection at the customer site the other day was remedied during the network settings check process yesterday.

I'm back at the lab today working on another problem, and wondering if a "cold start disaster recovery" scenario that didn't work at the customer site was because of a Java 2 Platform Standard Edition binary not running under Vista.

Ridgeglider and Rnixon, thank you for your reasonable and calm replies.
Paul
rnixon

Post by rnixon »

Hi Paul,

No problem, I'm careful about writing emails when I'm frustrated as well. IPSetup uses the same protocol as the Find utility in NBEclipse to identify units. If you think it may be a java issue, you could try IPSetup, which is a windows native app. The other possibility would be a firewall blocking the ipsetup port number (20034). The "find" part is a UDP broadcast, so I don't think the IP settings matter as long as your host and device are both on the same LAN, because routers will not forward a broadcast. When I had this problem I disabled the firewall just to do a quick sanity check, and sure enough that was it.